Benelli Forum banner

Chain tension

10K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  ajf 
#1 ·
Hi guys. An embarrassingly simple job to be asking questions about i know, but my chain needs to be tensioned and ive been having a look in the service manual to see what benelli's method is.
There doesn't seem to be any markers on the adjustment so you can nip up the other side the same. What do you guys do? Count the turns on the nut and adjust the other side the same?
Cheers
Gazz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
There's literally no way to have "one side" be different from the other as the whole eccentric hub moves. Also, the wheel doesn't need to be off the ground.

Now - if you can figure out a tolerance for the tension, rather than an integer, let me know... 'cuz the shop manual just gives you a number!

#6 ·
It's a case of .........buying a laser chain alingnment tool. Cheap on eBay or use a straight adage to check the chain is running true. If it is. Then the wheel is straight seeeeeeemples.........yer right.:D

Reactions: gazzdid
#8 ·
You can use a laser pen if you can secure it to line up down the chain from the sprocket.

no worries it's what we're here for :D

#13 ·
Is the main nut reverse thread or just got some serious torque? I dont want to give it too much stick until i know for sure its not reversed! :-/ cheers
If you mean the nut on the rear wheel spindle, then it's a standard right hand thread. It should be tightened to 80 Nm or 59 lbft which isn't a huge amount of torque, though if you are trying to use a ratchet instead of a breaker bar it will feel very tight :)

#15 ·
Got the torque wrench and sorted it. Only thing is, it needs more than 80nm of torque to turn the 32mm nyloc! So cant really tighten it to that. It doesnt seem like its seized or anything it turns smooth just seems like the nylon has a good hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
It's been over tightened just remove with a long bar and re tighten with the tourque wrench

dont forget your straight adage. To get it aligned straightly 😏.

Dom 👊🏽

Reactions: DivingDog
#17 ·
Are you certain that torque wrench is set correctly? I can hardly imagine a nyloc requiring more than 80Nm to turn it unless the threads are absolutely mangled. Just as a sanity check, if your torque wrench is 50cm long, you'd need to be putting just over 16 kilograms on the end of it to achieve 80Nm.

Some torque wrenches have really odd units such as inch pounds or kg cm, so make sure you are using the appropriate scale.

#21 ·
Easiest way is buy a laser chain tool tells you the wheels straight you only have to worry about the tension then. And that's easy. Or buy a chain monkey to covet that aspect.

#22 ·
The chain monkey is a great little tool, it was actually developed by my ex university housemate. Even if you're well used to doing chains you cant beat the convineance. I've got it set up right for my tornado so all I have to do is hook it on a line the wheel up. It saves a lot of pissing about whislt getting the wheel straight. There is actually a laser aligning tool being developed too which should be one of the easiest and cheapest on the market. Ive told him to hurry up with it because I could really do with one for my tornado!

If anyone fancies a chain monkey give me a shout and I shoulf be able to sort some sort of forum discount :)

#31 ·
Chain adjustment

I check my Wheel alignment on the track bikes by measuring from the rear of the swingarm ,to the rear axel on both sides, cannot really go wrong. Cannot see why it will not work on the Nelli

Reactions: DenH
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.