Benelli Forum banner

Veglia Clock refurbishment

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Cosmo 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone got an idea where I can get new black bezels for 80mm Veglia clocks?

I have located chrome ones from Wassell ltd for refurbing Triumph/NVT late Veglias, but would be good to obtain black finish ones.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 ·
#6 ·
Got a response from Bsanut and he was very helpful. "I’ve stopped shipping to Great Britain through Ebay. Too many complaints about ‘surprise’ duty charges that are not my fault and cannot afford with Ebay’s feedback system.You are welcome to buy from my website below, cheaper for you anyway...

Joe

EUROTRASH JAMBALAYA
www.eurojamb.com
"

I was not aware of his international website, so looks like I can order directly here.
Eurotrash Jambalaya, Vintage European Motorcycle Parts at Eurojamb.com

Thanks for the input.

#7 · (Edited)
An update because it will help anyone else embarking on a clock refurb,

After lots of other major work to do, months later I finally got around to starting on the clocks..................oh dear.

The bezels supplied by EUROTRASH JAMBALAYA www.eurojamb.com whilst arriving fast and looked just right, turned out to be 1.0 - 1.5mm in diameter smaller than the Veglia clocks I have after I removed the old bezels. :bawl:
Whilst the clock base could be turned down a smidge to suit them, I thought that was a step too far.

As a result, I have admitted defeat and bought some chrome ones from Speedo Clocks & Parts part no. 06-9305A
(26670G)

They are a match to the Benelli bezel shape and bevels, but are chrome plate rather than black finish.

These are made for the Triumph/BSA/Norton/NVT Veglia clocks fitted to late british bikes and bizarrely are around 2+mm larger than the ideal size for the Benelli clock base and the originals removed so need to be very carefully centred.
Nevertheless, with some careful peening, they fit and look great.
The only difference I can see is that the clocks once fitted in the Benelli/Guzzi clock shroud, because of the larger diameter the new bezels are much closer together as a result. The gap between the bezels is now minimal, but good enough for me and also covers up the "crinkly" joint in the clock shroud also seen on this photo from an unknown 354/504/654 below from a web snapshot. Mine were in a far worse state than this.......

Photos to follow together with dimensions of the various parts, so be careful because it seems there are variations to the Veglia clock diameters of the period.
All of the clocks I researched are described as "80mm Veglias" and the outside case diameter appears to be constant, so is probably fully interchangeable in the clock mounts, but the top "turn-out" of the case to receive the bezels once you have removed them appears to be variable dependent on the date of manufacture and the machine. I have two differing bezel designs on my shelf for black Benelli Veglias from what should be the same 80mm clock.
I suspect the black ones I got would be sized for Alfa or italian sports cars that also use 80mm Veglias, because the weather seals are likely to be different as a result. Not sure why the Triumph/NVT ones for 80mm clocks are slightly larger but there you go, they do fit, so success!;)

Photos to follow........................

#8 ·
Check dimensions below:

The Benelli clock cases measure 86.6mm at their edge.
The Eurojamb ones measure 85.5mm internal diameter.
The Burton bike bits chrome replacements measure 89mm internal diameter.

Photos attached.

As you can see, the result is fine, but mine's a special, so I'm not trying to match for restoration and now I quite like the chrome look, it gives and updated modern retro Guzzi look.

#10 ·
Pinnach, no worries, we are all dealing with old bikes that have very little data, your advice was a best guess at the time.
At the end of production, many of the bikes were even "parts bin specials", and so it's very difficult to get info on, that's why these forums work so well.
I've had several Benellis over the years and held on to this one since 1983, and whilst I think I know a little bit about them, I still get stumped sometimes so sharing experiences helps all of us with these older machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.