750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!

Member #

750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!

Hello all - I have a new Sei handlebar from Detlef, and am a bit worried about the job ahead...removing the old wiring and fitting thru the new handlebar. I am retaining the original switchgear as it's all in great shape. Anyone done this and can report on how they went?
    Brian Cutler, Melb., Australia

Member #
    I have a similar task ahead on my 250 2C, so far I've only removed the wiring from the old handlebars. I did this by compressing the retaining tabs on the connector pins with a short piece of brass tube, obtained from a model shop and then pushing the pins out with a steel rod (drill bit) through the centre of the brass. I made a diagram of the wire colours/locations in the connector block as I went. To get the wires out of the bars I had to cut off the plastic sleeve then wiggle, push, pull etc.

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Hi if the black oversleaving on the cables is old it will be hard to draw through the handle bars. I would renew this with new sleeping which will be more supple to thread through the bars. Fit a single draw wire then attach the switch wires to it and draw them through the bars.
    i think running the wires through the bars is a far neater than running them on the outside of the bars. Later Benellis did not have bars that wires could be threaded through. Put some spray silicone on the loom aswelll as this will help it slide through the bars
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Just a quick couple of points. Run some insulating tape over the exposed rivets on the inside of the switches but not the earth contact tangs before sliding onto the bars.

The connectors on our bikes are called 0.093inch molex connectors although the same type were made by other manufacturers. Yes, they are the same ones used in washing machines etc. You can get the shells and contacts from electronics suppliers like cpc and digikey. The rubber covers are harder but i think Carrott cycles can get them from italy. Crimp tools to attach new contacts to the wire are difficult to put it mildly. The molex tool costs 250 quid but I've never found a third party tool that really does the job and I always feel the need to solder the tip of the wire. Perhaps Mr Powell can point us in the right direction but i have half a dozen crimp tools none of which work well. The connectors are rated at only 25 mate and break cycles so it's no wonder they are tired now. The proper pin extraction tool is cheap.

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Hi Chris, I think the tools for fitting the end terminals are poor at best, like you I prefer to solder them to the wires. To release the pins from the connectors I used a blue in line crimp terminal. I stripped the plastic of the terminal and used the tube to release the terminals for the terminal block. If you don't have a rubber boot cover for the terminal use a large size piece of heat shrink sleeving, when heated this shrinks to make a water resistant seal over the connector .
    hope to see you at Scarborough .
    Richard
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Member #

Thanks gentlemen!!

Thanks Mike, Richard and Tornadoboy, for your comments and advice. Seems like it IS possible to remove the old wiring, and then fit back into the bars. I did this a few years back on my Suzuki T500 Cobra, but it had no molex connectors. I had already figured to use Mike's method of disassembling the connector blocks, good that seems to work.
    I will be starting the job in a week or two, will take lots of photos to record the task.
    Cheers
    Brian

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    So I finally bit the bullet and bought a proper Molex crimp tool for the contacts. It's an old model but I can report that what they say is true. You need a Molex tool preferably with the assembly jig. It looks just like the others but it also works without any pre bending of the crimp and with little hand pressure.

It's a CR 1031E

750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!-2017-05-22-19.27.11.jpg

Small cable in small contact
    750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!-2017-05-22-19.28.40.jpg

Large cable in large contact
    750 Sei handlebar wiring advice needed!-2017-05-22-19.29.15.jpg

I think these tools are made by third party suppliers I'll investigate...
    Last edited by Tornadoboy; Today at 12:43 PM.

Sponsors