• 2 Post By slip

Thread: Trek 1130 for sale on eBay...Advice Needed

Senior Junior
    Name
    Tim Riding
    Member #

Trek 1130 for sale on eBay...Advice Needed

Hello guys,

First off, this is my first post on here so if I drop any clangers please go easy on the noob

I'm looking at buying the yellow trek for sale on eBay in Bolton but it comes with little to no history and as this would be the first 'nelli I've had I could do with as much help as possible. I've spoke to the seller and been to see the bike but as I know almost nothing about them yet I was hoping someone on here might have some ideas as to its real worth and what I should be looking for as far as possible issues, price etc.

The bike's on an 07 plate but the frame's an 08...no signs of a crack so from what I can gather that's a plus. There's a little blistering on the top of the tank, the center header pipe looks a little brighter than the two outer pipes, an' the back brake's binding but he said this was due to having new pads fitted and then not being bed in yet (is this normal?). He started it while I was there an' she fired up OK but that's as far as it went.

Any and all help or advice would be muchly appreciated as soon as possible as I'm supposed to be finalising the deal later today, so no pressure..😬

ajf
    Member #

Things to check

First and foremost you must check that all of the updates have been done, ask to see all of the paperwork to confirm this is correct.
    Unless you are conversant with the Benelli, I would be very reluctant to go ahead unless there is some History to go with the bike. But do not be put off the Benelli is a great bike but you do not want to be buying a dog..... I would put off the sale until you get more answers from this forum.
    Hope this has been of some help.....
    wigwamclan likes this.
    Tornado Tre 900, TNT899s, Yamaha MT09 Tracer, Yamaha Virago,
    Track Day Bikes, Kawasaki ZX10R, Suzuki GSXR 750

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END, AND IF ITS NOT THEN ITS NOT THE END,,

Senior Junior
    Name
    Tim Riding
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply AJF...the only paperwork appears to be simple service receipts Are the jobs that should have been completed under warranty expensive if I were to undertake them myself?, any specialized tools etc. required?

The seller agreed on a price of £2650, with just over 9000 miles on her...trouble is, I've seen so few for sale I'm finding it difficult to get a handle on how much I should be paying and whether or not It would work out economically viable to carry out any work outstanding

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

ajf
    Member #

Mmmmmmmm

Hi I am not sure about the 1130, but the main issues are the z shaft, and clutch issues.
    But as I said I am not completely on song with the 1130, but as far as I am concerned these issues cover all of the the earlier Benelli Engines and so I would be reluctant to go ahead until you have investigated these Items.
    I am not sure how expensive these jobs are to have done, but if you are a fairly competent mechanic then you should be able to do the work yourself. But I would still hang back and wait for more info from the Forum before committing yourself to a deal.
    The price does not seem over the top but again it all depends on if any of the updates have been completed, and if there is no paper work to say it has then you are shooting in the dark. I am also certain that someone on this Forum will recognise the bike and give you a better history and so my only real advice would be to wait until you get some concrete information.

You could also try Bennets they deal a lot with Benelli`s and they are from that area, they may have some knowledge of that bike.
    wigwamclan likes this.

Senior Junior
    Name
    Tim Riding
    Member #
    Thanks again for the sound advice...,

although it's breaking my heart I've decided to walk away (it's a first for me) unless the seller can come up with some concrete evidence of the warranty.

I'm gutted but resigned to waiting for the right one to give me some piece of mind,.....that is unless like you say, someone on here can shed some light on the history of the bike

P.S. I think the bike was registered in Cardiff if this helps

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwamclan View Post
    Thanks again for the sound advice...,

although it's breaking my heart I've decided to walk away (it's a first for me) unless the seller can come up with some concrete evidence of the warranty.

I'm gutted but resigned to waiting for the right one to give me some piece of mind,.....that is unless like you say, someone on here can shed some light on the history of the bike

P.S. I think the bike was registered in Cardiff if this helps
    Got to stand with previous comments, the bike was definitely no registered down here. quick check on the DVLA mot history ,shows all mileage checks , so why no service history ?
    think its probably a bike been lost, and not serviced ,because of the costs. If it had had a good life, the history would be there to back it up. Plus of course , no one has come forward to say, YES that's my old bike its a good one.
    Even on the forum you have to be careful, sometimes ,it can be not what its seems.
    Best to relax in the comfort , you did not buy it , than regret it and of course , hate the bike !
    ajf, wigwamclan and UpNorthWill like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    Got to stand with previous comments, the bike was definitely no registered down here. quick check on the DVLA mot history ,shows all mileage checks , so why no service history ?
    think its probably a bike been lost, and not serviced ,because of the costs. If it had had a good life, the history would be there to back it up. Plus of course , no one has come forward to say, YES that's my old bike its a good one.
    Even on the forum you have to be careful, sometimes ,it can be not what its seems.
    Best to relax in the comfort , you did not buy it , than regret it and of course , hate the bike !
    Tend to disagree with your comment over bikes with no service history. Not staying near a benelli dealer and having found that even when a bike is serviced by a dealer of any marque, attention to detail is all too often lacking. Not the first time i've had slack oil sump bolts, fluid on discs, slack swing arm pinch bolts etc. from a dealer service.

I'd agree if the seller was "dodgy" but if they were knowledgeable about the bike i'd say the service receipts were meaningless unless you actually took the time to check their authenticity. An enthusiast may not have service history but they probably know all the crappy bits that need or were fixed.
    I've found dealers now hide behind the data prtection act when you try to authenticate if service history records are legitimate.

From a resale point of view on a bike at full list then sure get all the records, but on a bike years old trust your judgement. I've never had a test ride on any bike i've bought secondhand and i tend to go on gut instinct.. As the saying goes "fur coat and nae knickers" doesn't mean that buying a bike from someone posh means they are legit.
    Desmodude and ron d like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    Tend to disagree with your comment over bikes with no service history. Not staying near a benelli dealer and having found that even when a bike is serviced by a dealer of any marque, attention to detail is all too often lacking. Not the first time i've had slack oil sump bolts, fluid on discs, slack swing arm pinch bolts etc. from a dealer service.

I'd agree if the seller was "dodgy" but if they were knowledgeable about the bike i'd say the service receipts were meaningless unless you actually took the time to check their authenticity. An enthusiast may not have service history but they probably know all the crappy bits that need or were fixed.
    I've found dealers now hide behind the data prtection act when you try to authenticate if service history records are legitimate.

From a resale point of view on a bike at full list then sure get all the records, but on a bike years old trust your judgement. I've never had a test ride on any bike i've bought secondhand and i tend to go on gut instinct.. As the saying goes "fur coat and nae knickers" doesn't mean that buying a bike from someone posh means they are legit.
    I respect your opinion, but I would get my "gut feeling2 by all the information available to me.
    like how long the seller had the bike, who supplied it, where it had been in its life, with how many owners
    what work had been done on it, etc etc . a bit vague there and I walk.
    Buy in haste , repent at leisure, and all that.
    I notice the bike did not sell, no bids
    No one on the forum , said yes, that my bike, I had it etc etc
    A member on here bought a bike and trusted the seller, turned out to be a lemon, similar bike actually, cracked frame .

I, like you, trust my own judgement
    If I get any warning flags pop up, I am gone.
    There are lots of good bikes out there, and a few dodgy ones as well.
    Plus of course there will be another along in a minute , so buy with care, is all I say.

ajf
    Member #

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    I respect your opinion, but I would get my "gut feeling2 by all the information available to me.
    like how long the seller had the bike, who supplied it, where it had been in its life, with how many owners
    what work had been done on it, etc etc . a bit vague there and I walk.
    Buy in haste , repent at leisure, and all that.
    I notice the bike did not sell, no bids
    No one on the forum , said yes, that my bike, I had it etc etc
    A member on here bought a bike and trusted the seller, turned out to be a lemon, similar bike actually, cracked frame .

I, like you, trust my own judgement
    If I get any warning flags pop up, I am gone.
    There are lots of good bikes out there, and a few dodgy ones as well.
    Plus of course there will be another along in a minute , so buy with care, is all I say.
    I Totally agree on this. The first warning sign was the seller did not know if the updates had been done... If thats the case then he either has absolutely no Knowledge of these bikes
    or he is hiding the fact that the work has not been done.
    And as we all know the nelli is not just another bike but it is a special machine that requires a bit of dedication to own and get the best out of it, that requires the knowledge of what is
    required as to where the problems are and what to look out for.
    This seller appeared to have no knowledge, and no history of this bike. Im sorry it would take a bit more than Gut Feeling to convince me to part with my money and I stand by my original
    thoughts. And as you have correctly pointed out, there are better deals out there.

Sponsors