Z25 Question
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Laurencewhite
  • 2 Post By Engenia
  • 1 Post By andy1130

Thread: Z25 Question

  1. #1
    Member andy1130's Avatar
    Member #
    14585
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    95

    Z25 Question

    Can I ask all you experts out there about the Z25, I have a 2011 TNT 1130 with full service history last being at around 5500mls in 2016 now showing just over 6400mls ... I owned this for just coming up to a year with no major issues ( expect me stupidly filling with Diesel, but that's another story )

    Are these later models changed from the factory ? not had a single issue with starting, hot / cold starts and runs like a dream.

    Exhaust valve disconnected, Air flaps removed, DNA filter fitted and Quill Tail and link pipe fitted.

    Cheers
    Andy

  2. #2
    King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,323
    Why take a chance that could have catastrophic consequences. If it was me I'd be whipping off the clutch cover just to make sure the z25 gear and shaft has been upgraded even although the bike is running like a dream.
    Engenia likes this.
    Laurence

  3. #3
    Member andy1130's Avatar
    Member #
    14585
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurencewhite View Post
    Why take a chance that could have catastrophic consequences. If it was me I'd be whipping off the clutch cover just to make sure the z25 gear and shaft has been upgraded even although the bike is running like a dream.

    Laurence, just rang the dealer who sold the bike in 2011 and who also performed all 5 x services and they assure me this is all done so happy days, this was a 1 owner bike and the dealer knows him very well and tells me this bike was always keep in immaculate condition and fully serviced each year.

    So lets hope for some sum this weekend so I can go play

    Thanks for the advice
    Andy

  4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Engenia's Avatar
    Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canberra, ACT, Australia
    Posts
    4,932
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1130 View Post
    they assure me this is all done so happy days, this was a 1 owner bike and the dealer knows him very well and tells me this bike was always keep in immaculate condition and fully serviced each year.
    And still, I would be checking it for my own peace of mind - trusting bugger that I am.
    Laurencewhite and ron d like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [120,261 km - and counting .....]

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9576
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    And still, I would be checking it for my own peace of mind - trusting bugger that I am.
    I'd agree with you as i had one with the updated z25 gear (still have it as souvenir, the shaft not the bike) and it still bent the splined shaft.

    Seems that not all the smooth faced z25 gear retrofits were perfect. I was always under the impression if the gear wheel was smooth and not a rough casting it would be ok.

    Now i just check as a matter of course.

  7. #6
    Member andy1130's Avatar
    Member #
    14585
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    I'd agree with you as i had one with the updated z25 gear (still have it as souvenir, the shaft not the bike) and it still bent the splined shaft.

    Seems that not all the smooth faced z25 gear retrofits were perfect. I was always under the impression if the gear wheel was smooth and not a rough casting it would be ok.

    Now i just check as a matter of course.
    Planning an oil and filter change this weekend so will drop the casing off and take a peak inside ...... is it easily visable once the casing is off ?

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9576
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1130 View Post
    Planning an oil and filter change this weekend so will drop the casing off and take a peak inside ...... is it easily visable once the casing is off ?
    Name:  z25.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.04 MB

    Really should be done in conjunction with the alternator being removed to check the bolt and belville washer on the end of the splined shaft .

    Also checking the bolt and washer on the alternator. The splines on the alternator can also become damaged if left too long with a loose alternator/z25 spline bolt or washer.

    Just taking the clutch cover off will only show you if the small z25 gear wheel has a smooth casting (revised) or rough casting (old version).
    if there is too much play the small z25 gear may have rubbed away at the softer alloy of the housing.
    You should have alignment marks on the z25 gear wheel and the spline it sits on.
    Tons of stuff on the forum about this.

  9. #8
    Member andy1130's Avatar
    Member #
    14585
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    Name:  z25.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.04 MB

    Really should be done in conjunction with the alternator being removed to check the bolt and belville washer on the end of the splined shaft .

    Also checking the bolt and washer on the alternator. The splines on the alternator can also become damaged if left too long with a loose alternator/z25 spline bolt or washer.

    Just taking the clutch cover off will only show you if the small z25 gear wheel has a smooth casting (revised) or rough casting (old version).
    if there is too much play the small z25 gear may have rubbed away at the softer alloy of the housing.
    You should have alignment marks on the z25 gear wheel and the spline it sits on.
    Tons of stuff on the forum about this.
    Many thanks so also take the alternator off and check behind that for the bolt and washer ... intact, not loose or worn etc ???? is the alternator any easy thing to remove ?

  10. #9
    Member andy1130's Avatar
    Member #
    14585
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1130 View Post
    Many thanks so also take the alternator off and check behind that for the bolt and washer ... intact, not loose or worn etc ???? is the alternator any easy thing to remove ?

    All done, checked both sides, removed the clutch cover and found a nice smooth edged Z25, no movement no sign of any wear, nothing found in the oil so looking good on that point. Removed the Alternator, nut lovely and tight with the newer beveled washer and also no movement or signs of wear. Oil Filter arrived today, oil now ready to collect from Halfords so should be back up and runnig tomorrow . Will leave to drain overnight and re-fill tomorrow and fit the new filter.

    Cheers for all the advice was actually easier than I thought it would be.

    Andy
    ValiantBoy likes this.

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Z25 again
    By kiddy in forum General Benelli Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2015, 01:41 AM
  2. Z25
    By kiddy in forum General Benelli Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  3. another z25
    By malachi in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 02:01 AM
  4. Z25 repair on LE
    By strider in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 03:53 PM
  5. Z25 mod
    By The Dane in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Google+