Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Laurencewhite
  • 2 Post By Engenia
  • 1 Post By andy1130

Thread: Z25 Question

Member #

Z25 Question

Can I ask all you experts out there about the Z25, I have a 2011 TNT 1130 with full service history last being at around 5500mls in 2016 now showing just over 6400mls ... I owned this for just coming up to a year with no major issues ( expect me stupidly filling with Diesel, but that's another story )

Are these later models changed from the factory ? not had a single issue with starting, hot / cold starts and runs like a dream.

Exhaust valve disconnected, Air flaps removed, DNA filter fitted and Quill Tail and link pipe fitted.

Cheers
    Andy

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Why take a chance that could have catastrophic consequences. If it was me I'd be whipping off the clutch cover just to make sure the z25 gear and shaft has been upgraded even although the bike is running like a dream.
    Engenia likes this.
    Laurence

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurencewhite View Post
    Why take a chance that could have catastrophic consequences. If it was me I'd be whipping off the clutch cover just to make sure the z25 gear and shaft has been upgraded even although the bike is running like a dream.

Laurence, just rang the dealer who sold the bike in 2011 and who also performed all 5 x services and they assure me this is all done so happy days, this was a 1 owner bike and the dealer knows him very well and tells me this bike was always keep in immaculate condition and fully serviced each year.

So lets hope for some sum this weekend so I can go play

Thanks for the advice
    Andy

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1130 View Post
    they assure me this is all done so happy days, this was a 1 owner bike and the dealer knows him very well and tells me this bike was always keep in immaculate condition and fully serviced each year.
    And still, I would be checking it for my own peace of mind - trusting bugger that I am.
    Laurencewhite and ron d like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [120,261 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    And still, I would be checking it for my own peace of mind - trusting bugger that I am.
    I'd agree with you as i had one with the updated z25 gear (still have it as souvenir, the shaft not the bike) and it still bent the splined shaft.

Seems that not all the smooth faced z25 gear retrofits were perfect. I was always under the impression if the gear wheel was smooth and not a rough casting it would be ok.

Now i just check as a matter of course.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    I'd agree with you as i had one with the updated z25 gear (still have it as souvenir, the shaft not the bike) and it still bent the splined shaft.

Seems that not all the smooth faced z25 gear retrofits were perfect. I was always under the impression if the gear wheel was smooth and not a rough casting it would be ok.

Now i just check as a matter of course.
    Planning an oil and filter change this weekend so will drop the casing off and take a peak inside ...... is it easily visable once the casing is off ?

Member #
    Planning an oil and filter change this weekend so will drop the casing off and take a peak inside ...... is it easily visable once the casing is off ?
    Name:  z25.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.04 MB

Really should be done in conjunction with the alternator being removed to check the bolt and belville washer on the end of the splined shaft .

Also checking the bolt and washer on the alternator. The splines on the alternator can also become damaged if left too long with a loose alternator/z25 spline bolt or washer.

Just taking the clutch cover off will only show you if the small z25 gear wheel has a smooth casting (revised) or rough casting (old version).
    if there is too much play the small z25 gear may have rubbed away at the softer alloy of the housing.
    You should have alignment marks on the z25 gear wheel and the spline it sits on.
    Tons of stuff on the forum about this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    Name:  z25.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.04 MB

Really should be done in conjunction with the alternator being removed to check the bolt and belville washer on the end of the splined shaft .

Also checking the bolt and washer on the alternator. The splines on the alternator can also become damaged if left too long with a loose alternator/z25 spline bolt or washer.

Just taking the clutch cover off will only show you if the small z25 gear wheel has a smooth casting (revised) or rough casting (old version).
    if there is too much play the small z25 gear may have rubbed away at the softer alloy of the housing.
    You should have alignment marks on the z25 gear wheel and the spline it sits on.
    Tons of stuff on the forum about this.
    Many thanks so also take the alternator off and check behind that for the bolt and washer ... intact, not loose or worn etc ???? is the alternator any easy thing to remove ?

Member #
    Many thanks so also take the alternator off and check behind that for the bolt and washer ... intact, not loose or worn etc ???? is the alternator any easy thing to remove ?

All done, checked both sides, removed the clutch cover and found a nice smooth edged Z25, no movement no sign of any wear, nothing found in the oil so looking good on that point. Removed the Alternator, nut lovely and tight with the newer beveled washer and also no movement or signs of wear. Oil Filter arrived today, oil now ready to collect from Halfords so should be back up and runnig tomorrow . Will leave to drain overnight and re-fill tomorrow and fit the new filter.

Cheers for all the advice was actually easier than I thought it would be.

Andy
    ValiantBoy likes this.

Sponsors