• 4 Post By WikingTNT
  • 2 Post By R Powell
  • 3 Post By umpleame

Thread: Giancarlo Morbidelli

Name
    steve peace
    Member #

Giancarlo Morbidelli

It is with a heavy heart I announce the passing of the great Giancarlo Morbidelli of MBA (Morbidelli Benelli Armi) and Morbidelli racing fame. He passed away after a brave fight against a illness which has been progressively getting worse over a while now. He died in Fano Hospital this afternoon, and all i can say is that myself and my wife have known him for a good number of years and met him many times at his museum which was one of the finest in Italy, and his success ref him and his riders was there for all to see.,but he was one of the most kind and sincere persons, we have ever met, we will never forget you Giancarlo.
    RIP my friend
    ron d and ianh like this.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Hi Steve, thanks for posting this. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but he was a pretty amazing guy who built some incredible racing bikes. Incredible is not too grandiose a description when you consider that building bikes wasn't his actual business. He had a factory that made woodworking tools and he built bikes in his spare time. I guess you could call it his hobby, but he was evidently pretty good at it. His bikes won 4 world championships in 125 and 250 classes. That's like some 'ordinary' guy going out to his shed and building a bike to beat Marc Marquez, not just once, but regularly enough to take the championship off him! I can't see that happening an time soon.

I'm sad that the museum has been dispersed before I got a chance to see it. It's a shame that his son Gianni, the ex F1 racing driver, couldn't keep the collection together.

Cheers,
    Cam
    tractorman and benellioldman like this.

Name
    steve peace
    Member #
    Thanks Cam for explaining his achievements to folk on here. I only knew him for around ten years but it seemed like a lifetime I never got tired of meeting him be it at the various functions or his magnificent museum. It was a shame that you did not see the museum all I have now is the memories and I do believe a DVD may still be available for folk to enjoy.
    tractorman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Giancarlo was a motorcycle genius and his museum was the best motorcycle collections in Italy. We have all lost a motorcycle legend, we met him on two occasions and can vouch like Steve he was a real gentleman. He gave me , wife and daughter a personal tour of his museum on a visit a few years ago and even showed us his work shop with a V12 motor he was building. Had Giancarlo worked for a motorcycle manufacturer I think his ideas and engineering skills would be legendary. Sad to see a great man leave us but it was a great life lived to the full
    benellioldman likes this.
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Giancarlo Morbidelli-b0735085-8d9b-426e-8681-349a20af8c52.png
    Giancarlo built this 1939 4 cyclinder 250 turbocharged Benelli from drawings he used from the Benelli brothers. I asked him if it ran and he said yes of course!
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Member #
    Just seen his collection of bikes is going to be auctioned off at stafford show in April https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...jSNwY7KnZWS5j1

Name
    Per Kolbjørn Almaas
    Member #

So sad to hear

What a nice person and a great engineer he was. Had the pleasure to visit his museum in 2014 and he was opening just for me after closing-time. Had a personal guided tour with some ouzo and grappa . Just a great man..RIP

Will try to post a few pics of him and his own designed bike and a V12 he was designing Giancarlo Morbidelli-img_2809.jpgGiancarlo Morbidelli-mr-morbidelli.jpgGiancarlo Morbidelli-morbidelli-v8.jpgGiancarlo Morbidelli-v12.jpg
    pk

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    There is a great article about Giancarlo Morbidelli in this month’s classic bike magazine. It’s well worth a read if you don’t know much about the man!
    benellioldman and WikingTNT like this.
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Member #

Giancarlo Morbidelli

May he rest in peace.

Sponsors