Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Engenia

Thread: 2007 TNT 1130 Cafe Racer Clutch Switch Bypass

Name
    Andrew N
    Member #

2007 TNT 1130 Cafe Racer Clutch Switch Bypass

Good day everyone,

It looks like the switch that is on the clutch lever has stopped working and instead of trying to find a new one (any recommendations on where to buy replacement parts is also greatly appreciated), I was wondering if there is any harm in splicing the two wires together to bypass the switch?

With the clutch switch 'engaged' is the ECU running a 'warm up' map or performs differently? If anyone has done this before or has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Right now i am just touching the two terminals when starting and plugging them back in :P

Name
    David Lilly
    Member #
    Sorry I can't help... but would be great to know the answer, if this means I can start the bike without having to pull the clutch in, pain in the 4rse!

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    The clutch switch is part of the safety system, so, like bypassing the neutral switch, the only ramifications will be to safety.
    I can see the scenario where you have stalled the bike in traffic, the bike is not in neutral and you hit the starter. With the clutch engaged the bike will lurch forward either into the vehicle in front (fine if its a car, bad if its a bike) or into an intersection, which is bad in most cases. The safety system would prevent this if it was operating correctly.

My advice would be to fix the fault, not to bypass it. Your life may depend on it.
    Last edited by Engenia; 05-18-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    ValiantBoy and CanuckEh! like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Andrew N
    Member #

Clutch Switch Update

Thank you for the great feedback (especially wrt safety issues). Luckily I was able to find what appears to be the replacement switch on aliexpress, of all places.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clut...300867439.html

Hasn't arrived yet but I will update when if it actually works. Finding parts in North America is tricky at the very least!

Name
    Andrew N
    Member #

Update....long overdue

So it's been over a year but I might as well provide an update..the new clutch sensor went in and resolved the non-start issue. What is happening now is that occasionally when pulling in the clutch the bike will cut out and blow the Service Fuse (10AMP). I am thinking it may be a bad ground somewhere or something in the switch itself..since it seems to only happen when using the clutch sensor is being engaged.

I am hoping to find some time to start metering the sensor and / or start troubleshooting for a bad ground........

In the meantime I am just carrying a box of extra fuses and have gotten quite efficient at pushing the bike to the side of the road and swapping them out........

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Sounds like you have an intermittent short between the clutch switch and the metal body of clutch lever perch.

I'm used to old bikes that don't have clutch and side stand interlocks. Having to pull the clutch when the bike is in neutral dives me nuts. It's like the bike telling me I'm too stupid to ride it.
    I'm seriously tempted to disable the clutch switch on my Tre-K. When the day comes that I'm too senile to avoid starting the bike in gear without pulling the clutch, I'll quit riding.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I'm seriously tempted to disable the clutch switch on my Tre-K.
    Fine, until one day you stall it at the lights and you hit the starter, it's in gear and you didn't pull the clutch in.
    Your mates will appreciate the amusement.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    Fine, until one day you stall it at the lights and you hit the starter, it's in gear and you didn't pull the clutch in.
    Your mates will appreciate the amusement.
    That's pretty unlikely. I've never been dumb enough to do that in over 50 years of riding bikes. I can't see my habits changing at this stage of my life

Sponsors