Benelli Tre gearing
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli Tre gearing

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #

Benelli Tre gearing

My Tre-K 1130 is over-geared for the roads we have in Tasmania. We don't have Autobahn type freeways with no speed limit. Max speed I can (legally) do here is 110kph, which is around 3400 rpm in top gear. So I rarely get into 6th gear. Even if I do a track day, my local race track is pretty tight and the straight is only about 500m long, so I'd still be unlikely to hit 6th gear.

I presently have the standard final drive gearing on the Tre-K (16/34). If I install a larger back sprocket, I don't reckon the chain will be long enough. I'd rather not cough up the cash for a new chain when the existing one is perfectly OK. So the simplest way for me to gear it down is to go for a smaller front sprocket - 15 or 14 teeth.

Just wondering what gearing others have used on the triples.

Cheers,
    Cam

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi cam .
    In summer last year I swapped out my chain and sprockets for new ones and it came with 16 up front here's the best bit a 36 tooth for the rear .
    At first I thought wtf theyv fcuked up !!
    But I fitted them anyway and it's just brilliant ! .. top end is just a quick but bloody hell it goes like a rocket getting there .
    Plus I find myself in about 4th gear just feeding the throttle in the twisty bits
    That extra 2 teeth on the rear make a huge difference.
    Fuel economy still about 42mpg

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    My Tre-K 1130 is over-geared for the roads we have in Tasmania. We don't have Autobahn type freeways with no speed limit. Max speed I can (legally) do here is 110kph, which is around 3400 rpm in top gear. So I rarely get into 6th gear. Even if I do a track day, my local race track is pretty tight and the straight is only about 500m long, so I'd still be unlikely to hit 6th gear.

I presently have the standard final drive gearing on the Tre-K (16/34). If I install a larger back sprocket, I don't reckon the chain will be long enough. I'd rather not cough up the cash for a new chain when the existing one is perfectly OK. So the simplest way for me to gear it down is to go for a smaller front sprocket - 15 or 14 teeth.

Just wondering what gearing others have used on the triples.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Your gearing is high 16/34 is only 2,125 reduction.
    One tooth off the front is equivalent to 2 on the back .
    15/34 gives you 2.25 final drive and your revs will rise to 3600 rpm @ 110 kph you will find that 16/36 give you the same 2.25 final reduction.
    14/34 gives you 2.43 final drive and your revs will rise to 3875 rpm @ 110 kph.
    I run 3 different Tornado,s, the 1130 Tre has the same gearing as your Trek at approx 32.2 kph per 1000 rpm
    The 900 Tre runs 25.76 kph per 1000 rpm and the RS 24.15 kph per 1000 rpm, .
    Have kept it all in klms for comparison.
    Fuel consumption is a close run thing between the 1130 (my god they love the juice) and the RS which revs much harder everywhere.
    We ride on the blackstuff over here , I tend to avoid dirt roads.
    Last edited by freeatlast; 12-31-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: misprint

Sponsors