My Gears
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My Gears

Member #

My Gears

I know it’s difficult when you haven’t looked at the bike but last week I partially dropped my bike....it didn’t hit the floor but It fell towards me and fell on me...if the 12 on a clock is upright, I dropped it towards me at about the angle of the 10 on a clock, so not very far. And the gear shifter lever (foot) doesn’t look out of place or bent and didn’t seem to have hit the floor when it dropped....but I went to ride on it today and I can put the bike in 1st or 2nd gear, but it won’t go into any other gear.....from the limited info I’ve given, does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong...

No good with spanners.... fredzedex's Avatar
    Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Has it slipped on the splines of the output shaft?

fred

here's to another trouble free year of Benelli riding

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.(sold)

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Sounds like a selector is slightly bent . That or a return spring has been dislodged.
    I've tipped a few bikes in my time too some my fault some to failing stands and I must admit I've never goofed a gearbox that way so hopefully yours isn't either .

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    I think that the partial drop is just a coincidence. I reckon you have either of two problems. The selector pin has dislodged, so that the return spring can't do its job, or the return spring is broken. The latter happened to me, and it was rather obvious when it happened, because the lever had more movement than normal, and sat lower. I was able to continue by manually moving the lever back to the "cocked" position with my toe, since the spring was unable to do it. I made another one out of an old bed spring to keep things running while I waited for the replacement part. It wasn't pretty but it worked.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors