Walbro general tuning
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Walbro general tuning

GBo
    Member #

Walbro general tuning

Does anyone know a good guide to setting up the Walbro or just a general guide to fuel mapping and ignition curves?
    ideally I would like one map with a very soft setup for economy and ease of riding.
    And power map for a bit of hooliganism.

i have 2 maps at the minute which work fairly well but the bike is a bit of a pain in slow traffic and Iím struggling getting over 100 miles to the tank and thatís on my Tre k with a decent size tank.

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Iím struggling getting over 100 miles to the tank and thatís on my Tre k
    Sounds about right to me
    GBo likes this.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Is TuneECU able to modify both Walbro maps?
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    I think so. You can access both maps in the software and change things. I haven't tried uploading changes to both maps though.

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Yes, but only with the appropriate connection cables which are different for each ECU type.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    have 2 maps at the minute which work fairly well but the bike is a bit of a pain in slow traffic and Iím struggling getting over 100 miles to the tank and thatís on my Tre k with a decent size tank.
    There is a good youtube clip discussing how to use TuneECU. In particular, look at how to smooth out the dips at specific throttle positions. These dips are all about drive by noise reduction and make control at low speeds quite difficult because very minor throttle changes make big changes to the power output in a rapidly rising curve.

Start with your economy map and test ride after you make small changes. Sneak up on it. You can always go back to the original if you don't like your changes.

The next level is to install a wideband O2 sensor so that you can log AFR. Choose a well known course and try to hold a cruise speed. Look at the resulting (base) log and adjust your economy map to aim for 14 - 15:1. Make small changes and test them. 15:1 will give you the best economy. 16:1 will reduce it and increase your chance of detonation by heaps. Remember when you are using that map to not load up the engine, as increased load increases the likelihood of detonation. You don't have a knock sensor to save your arse. (At least I don't think you do. There are some magical methods used to measure knock, but I don't think that Walbo or Sagem use any)
    Remember also, if you are anything more than 50 % throttle, you aren't interested in economy any more, so richen it up. Be careful to do it gradually though, as riding on the edge of a rising AFR curve is extremely taxing.

Once you've spent days/weeks getting that right, work on the power map. You are aiming for 12.8 - 13:1 That will be easier. Get the base log first for reference, then continue as before making small changes and relogging in order to sneak up on the map that works best.

If you had a rolling road (a dyno that allowed you to test at specific throttle settings) you would save time, but the results would be the same.

Of course, others have already done this, and you may find members here who are willing to share their maps.

Me? I cheated. I installed a Motty AFR Tuner. It does this automatically.
    It's a pity Tamas doesn't make it anymore. Nell can give me 330 km on a tank when I've got her set up well. Less than perfect and she'll do 280. Of course, it does help not to have to slow down for towns, because there aren't any.
    GBo likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

GBo
    Member #
    I have modified both maps and it is quite straightforward I have been doing it by changing one map and seeing if it is better than previous leaving the other map as best so far. I have an Afr meter on the bike but i donít have any way to log it I tried filming it but that was rubbish. A motty or similar would be good but couldnít find anyone selling such a thing. As far as I can tell Alex sells an adapted power commander but not sure if autotune works with it. Anyone got a power commander with autotune on one of these (WAlbro)

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    I could email you a copy of the map I'm using for you to try , you should see better figures than 100 per tank! ..
    Mines pretty smooth around town and out of it it's just as I need it to be in the Twisties ..lol.
    I only use one map out of the two as it gives a grin and saves a few pennies on gas
    Engenia likes this.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    A motty or similar would be good but couldnít find anyone selling such a thing. As far as I can tell Alex sells an adapted power commander but not sure if autotune works with it. Anyone got a power commander with autotune on one of these (WAlbro)
    I own a Power Commander V with the autotune. It all works but honestly I think it still runs too rich. Fuel economy did not get any significantly better.

GBo
    Member #
    own a Power Commander V with the autotune. It all works but honestly I think it still runs too rich. Fuel economy did not get any

Can you set Afr on the move or is it fixed at setup? And I suppose it will override the second map. It would be nice to have one for economy and one for making following peoples eyes sting. And where did you buy it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors