Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Z25 Gear and Shaft Replacement

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #

Z25 Gear and Shaft Replacement

A few guys have asked me for instructions on replacing the Z25 gear and shaft, so I thought that it might be worth posting these for all and sundry.

NOTE :- This is how I went about it and it worked for me but you choose to follow these instructions at your own risk

Right here we go :-

Undo the 3 bolts and remove the clutch actuator as this needs to be out of the way to remove the alternator. Use some cable ties to pull the coolant pipes temporarily out of the way to-wards the front of the bike.

Remove the alternator and you will see the alternator drive flange and cush drive rubbers. These rubbers may be worn and should be inspected/changed as they have been known to disintegrate.

The O-ring fitted to the groove in the alternator can stretch with age and may need to be shortened and re-joined with superglue or replaced to prevent it getting damaged when refitting the alternator into it's recess, resulting in an oil leek.

You will see the Z25 bolt in the centre of the alternator drive flange. There should be a tab washer fitted to prevent the bolt from un-doing itself; this is no longer the preferred method as a Bellville washer is now used. Bend the tab washer away from the bolt head.......bit fiddly if I remember!

The clutch basket needs to be fitted to prevent the shaft from turning when you try to undo the old z25 bolt. Put the bike in top gear and apply the rear brake to undo the Z25 shaft bolt, or hold the clutch with a clutch holding tool to prevent it from turning.

Remove the z25 bolt, discard the tab washer and remove the alternator drive flange from the end of the Z25 shaft. Remove clutch. Use a rod to push out the z25 shaft from the alternator side and leave the rod in place as this will hold the internal crankcase gear in situ and prevent it from dropping out of position (you do not want this to happen)

Fit new Z25 gear and shaft ensure etched triangles are aligned (if the upgraded parts have them) and tap the shaft to drive the rod you left in place earlier through to-wards the alternator side. Refit the drive flange and then the new washer and bolt with the correct loctite as you don't want this to come off again in a hurry. Check the nut on the end of the alternator spindle to make sure this is not loose then fit the cush rubbers and alternator but be careful you don’t snag the alternator 'o' ring. NOTE:- A small spot of superglue can be used to temporarily hold the rubbers in place when you refit the alternator.

Refit clutch etc.

The relevant torque settings for a 900 Tornado and the Loctite codes are noted below along with the spec of the HT bolt:-

- The clutch main nut torque is 80 NM
    (NOTE:- torque to only 50 NM for a dry clutch) with loctite 648 applied
    - The clutch cover torque is 10 NM no loctite applied
    - The Z25 bolt torque is 50 NM with loctite 648 applied
    - The alternator torque is 27 NM with loctite 243 applied
    - The clutch actuator torque is 10 NM with loctite 243 applied

- Z25 bolt - M10x1.25 (metric fine thread) x 25mm long 8.8 specification high tensile bolt

There are a couple of pics on this post which may help.
    Last edited by Laurencewhite; 03-30-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    tucandugu and The Dane like this.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 81
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Member #
    Top job Laurence, going to do mine over the winter. Did you get the parts from Bennetts or somewhere else. great description, by the way.
    Roy W

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Yep Bennetts, from memory the replacement 'kit' (i.e. Z25 gear/shaft, belville washer and HT Bolt) was around £120 but best check with them for an up-to-date price.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 81
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Cheers mate, will do.Not too bad a price to stop it lunching the inside of me engine

Member #

also

for the shaft /rod you use to folow the alternator drive shaft out, I bought a piece of 10mm 1.25 pitch threaded rod, this screws into the shaft once you have removed the old bolt, to the threaded rod i also made up a aluminium sleeve to go over it (ID 10mm, OD13mm, length 20cm's) which ensures the gear inside the engine has no chance of dropping into the cases, and allow for better alignment the new z25 shaft splines when it pulled back through.

Member #
    How do we know that a z25 shaft is hosed? Any visual indications on why I should replace a z25 gear vs. the alternator?

Name
    Rob Fitzmaurice™
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNibbler View Post
    How do we know that a z25 shaft is hosed? Any visual indications on why I should replace a z25 gear vs. the alternator?
    Give Errol's site a look, that might help

http://www.engenia.com.au/05_Engine/...arFailure.html

Let us know how you get on

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

GUS
    Member #

Cool Z25

Hi Laurence, Did You Have To Replace The Clutch Basket Also? Or Just The Z25 Gear And Washer? Thank You

Gus

More fun than a KLR650 lonegunman's Avatar
    Name
    Seth
    Member #
    Just the Z25 gear and alternator shaft. The belleville washer is a replacement for a different part.

I opened mine up today and discovered I've already got the newer Z25 gear so mine's going begging. Make me an offer.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lonegunman View Post
    Just the Z25 gear and alternator shaft. The belleville washer is a replacement for a different part.

I opened mine up today and discovered I've already got the newer Z25 gear so mine's going begging. Make me an offer.
    I might pick you up on that offer, once I pull mine out and check.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsors