What have you done today? - Page 31
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: What have you done today?

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #
    LOL - centre stand is next on the agenda, based on Cam's prototype. I already bought material and produced scale sketches to determine pivot position and spring angles. I hope to ensure it holds up properly and locks over centre when deployed. I bought a new welding shield a couple days ago, after I realised I was blinded for the first few seconds of every arc. That might improve my welding. However I must now commit time to garden irrigation, to avoid extreme noise or icy conditions on the home front.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
    The tube is only 1.2mm wall thickness and I am using flux cored wire, welding intermittently to avoid holes, then grinding-off the rough finish. .... I have a TIG welder in the shed that could potentially do a better job but I have not used that method for 40-odd years and forgot what little I knew. Cheers.
    Drag that TIG out of storage, and hook up a foot control.
    If the machine is half decent you'll be able to use 1 mm stainless steel tube (even thinner) and find it far easier to weld than mild steel. It runs like solder!
    If it is an AC machine you can use 1.2 mm aluminium tube, with a bit of practice. Way way way easier than with oxy-acetylene though. That is a challenge!
    Redbaron57 likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    LOL - centre stand is next on the agenda, based on Cam's prototype... I hope to ensure it holds up properly and locks over centre when deployed.
    My 'prototype' doesn't lock over-centre. Not that it matters with a centre stand. The puny springs can't lift the weight of the bike and roll it forward. You can only tell it doesn't lock forward if you swing it down while the bike is chocked up in the air and the stand is clear of the ground.

Side stands are a different matter. I hate side stands that spring back up as soon as you take the weight off them. I had one like that on a Laverda RGS. Ended up modifying it so it would stay put when deployed.

Nice job on the pannier frames. An angle grinder is an essential tool for us folks who are crap at welding.
    BTW, I have a set of Givi pannier frames on my Tre-K. Happy to send photos if you need any inspiration re the bracing.
    Redbaron57 likes this.

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #

Design

Sorry Cam I wasn't critical of your stand arrangement. I found a likely looking spring my scrap. Contemplating your note on spring duplication I sketched a hinge proposal to consider dimensions, angles and forces. It's my habit since design office days, except I do it at night over a single malt now. Thanks for the picture offer. I've seen the pannier frame arrangements from the various manufacturers. Conscious of a stock frame failure in the bush I am hoping to avoid it with diagonal bracing but prefer it looked less grotesque than my Mk1 version.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Took Nelli out to see the birthplace of Richard Burton today ..
    The Locals were a bit weird
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done today?-screenshot_20201017_173520_1602952581811.jpg   What have you done today?-screenshot_20201017_173453_com_1602952594317.android.gallery3d.jpg  
    RobShed likes this.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Sorry Cam I wasn't critical of your stand arrangement ...
    Blimey, I'm not so sensitive that I consider your comment as criticism.

I would have preferred to make the spring an over-centre arrangement, but room to do it was a bit too tight. I suppose could have done it with a bit more work, but figured I could live with it as it was.

Another potential centre stand builder from Germany told me via email that two springs were required by TUV compliance regulations to prevent the stand from falling down if one spring breaks. I'd never considered that possibility because it's no big deal if the stand falls down. It's not going to cause a crash, just a bit of noise and a few sparks as it drags along the road. Tie it up with a bit of string until you can replace the spring.
    Redbaron57 likes this.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031

Sponsors