A callout to any UK 650 Tornado owners.
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A callout to any UK 650 Tornado owners.

Member #

A callout to any UK 650 Tornado owners.

I have a friend in the Laverda world who also writes features for UK bike magazines who's looking for a kind soul in the UK with a 650 Tornado who's prepared to offer it up for a comparison feature. If you've got one and you'd be prepared to offer it for the article then he'd greatly appreciate that.

As he says "We not necessarily looking for mint bikes but we prefer original style paint schemes and broadly original bikes. Obviously the bikes are well looked after and aren't thrashed, we're not doing performance testing , we're just looking to compare overall riding impressions."

If you've got one and you can help then please contact Bob directly at [email protected]

He'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Jedzo

Member #
    Bob tells me he's now got hold of a 650 Tornado for the test.

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Would love to see the test when its done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Keep an eye out on the bike mag racks in a few months I guess Dobb. I believe the test is underway shortly.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    How is Mr Bradbury doing then Jedzo? haven't heard from him for a while. I fully expect the SF Lav to whip the Tornado in a comparison but would be glad to be surprised.

Member #
    Seems to be doing fine. Third bike in the test is a Guzzi T3. I believe the test is happening today. Be interesting to read when it comes out. Here's a couple of comments off the laverda forum from folks who've experienced both;

"I'm not an engineer, so duly bow to their greater expertees, but speaking only as an owner would offer this.

I've ridden many thousands of miles on both Lav 750s and my Motobi( Benny) Tornado. Both are great, both have been completely reliable. My Tornado is physically smaller than my previous, drum braked 750 (I've just got this SF2 so can't really comment on that yet) and I would say that it handles and brakes better than the 750. The Benny has a proper, paper cartridge oil filter and sight glass, a huge plus over the ridiculous dipstick and tea strainer of the Lav. Vibration? I'm sure the 650 shakes more, but everything is rubber mounted, everything, so its not really an issue except at very high speed. The Lav is quicker, no question, as you'd expect from a larger motor, but the Benny is massively oversquare and revs like a four. Two very different, yet similar bikes, if that makes sense!
    I'd think that, if your riding is mostly higher speed cruising, often with luggage or a pillion, I'd go for the Laverda. If you like blasting around, though, I'd consider the Benelli/Motobi. Be aware that bodywork is very hard to get for the Tornado, try to buy as complete a machine as possible. The later models have electric starts, mine is the earlier, lighter, kickstart only, version. I consider it to be a sort of superior Commando!

I love them both, but if I had to pick? Hmm............................Tornado!"

"Back in the Seventies I raced a 650 Tornado for Cosmopolitan Motors. New 650 production class and we worked hard to make that bike competitive. Combustion chambers and pistons were very old school. Big dish for the spark plug and the shape of the pistons and head were far from making real horsepower. Super short stroke and very restrictive intake and exhaust. Bike was heavy too.

Got very good cooperation from Benelli and ended up with 32mm Dellorto pumpers. Mystery factory exhaust. Trick head and pistons with supporting documentation . Stripped down and it ran well. Very reliable bike

It would of been easier to go fast on a Laverda or British twin.

Benelli is a good bike with Bosch electrics.

I think the Laverda is a better machine"

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    That thread on laverdaforum was fab, really inspiring. I got in touch with the nice chap that raced them in the states a couple of months ago and we hope to do a piece on his experiences for the christmas UK club rag. If we get it together I'll post a copy here. Said he's no photos though which is a shame but so many mag articles are all pictures and no substance eh? The trip to Pesaro for the centenary revealed some issues with my 650 but just occasionaly it would all come together and you could see what a fine sporty machine it could be.

Having the T3 in the test gives the Tornado a chance. Mine was a bit slow and heavy although it did roll on well from 40 to 60.

Met a bloke from Queensland in Agostini's in Mandelo - tall, long hair, 40s maybe you know him Jedzo?

Here's some skinny idiot in front of the Benelli Armi factory by the train station in Urbino. I read that they made a load of the frames for the Italian superbikes like the V7 Sport and Tornado in the old factory on this site ...
    Last edited by Tornadoboy; 09-28-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Sponsors