Benelli 750 Sei starting problems: Help!
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli 750 Sei starting problems: Help!

Member #

Benelli 750 Sei starting problems: Help!

Hi,

Just finished my Sei but the beauty doesn´t wants to start.

I changed the plug cups for a new NGK ones and checked the breakers.
    When I try to start , only the left hand side cylinder (nr. 1) seams to make some explosion.
    It started before the rebuild, then I suspect about some wrong electrical connection.

-The coil wiring numbers are disposed in this order (seen in running sense, from right to left): 153426
    The work shop manual seams to indicate that the correct order is 123456. Tried both options, but no start symptoms.

-When I dismatled all the coil system I lost one of the wiring connection references from the green wires which connects the coils. May be the green wires -see attached photo- are connected opposite order that they must. Could this affect?.

-Also I don´t know which is the correct procedure to start up this bike. I open the 2 fuel switch and pull full the carburetor choque.

Any suggestions?.

Thanks in advance!.

Carles

Member #
    Carles,

Firing order in my manual is 1-4-2-6-3-5

As for the 2 green wires, if you look at the colour of the wires coming from the points you should be able to work out which is which. By the wiring diagram, you have blue, yellow and red wires from the points. If you look at the cylinder number stamped on the points mounting plate you can work out which coil they go to. Coils share cylinders, ie - 1/6, 4/3 and 2/5.
    76 Benelli Sei, 76 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Kawasaki z650, 98 BMW F650, 08 Suzuki DL650

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc59 View Post
    Carles,

Firing order in my manual is 1-4-2-6-3-5

As for the 2 green wires, if you look at the colour of the wires coming from the points you should be able to work out which is which. By the wiring diagram, you have blue, yellow and red wires from the points. If you look at the cylinder number stamped on the points mounting plate you can work out which coil they go to. Coils share cylinders, ie - 1/6, 4/3 and 2/5.
    Hi Doc59,
    many thanks for your help. There was a mesh of coil wires and with the correct order the engine finally has started up.

Best regards.

Carles

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Congrats Carles! Looking forward to the vids/pics

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbinuk View Post
    Congrats Carles! Looking forward to the vids/pics
    Thanks Lee .
    Now finishing last tunning works like exhaust adjustment , new tyres, oil, etc.
    Hope to post a dynamic clip next week...audio included.

Cheers.

Carles

*Here finished before running, face to face with the TNT.

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    That's a great pic Carles. Is it a sign of age when you start to appreciate the look of a classic bike more than a modern bike? Looking at the two there, I think the Sei is the prettiest. Maybe it's just chrome that does it

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbinuk View Post
    That's a great pic Carles. Is it a sign of age when you start to appreciate the look of a classic bike more than a modern bike? Looking at the two there, I think the Sei is the prettiest. Maybe it's just chrome that does it
    I think so Lee, all the classic bike collectors I know are old (except me ). Seriously speaking agree with you, is a sign of age...
    the bike on the left is what you dreamed when you were young, the bike of the right is the bike that makes you dream, just now... when you're not so young. The equation is, more or less this: age you had when you dreamed for the Sei plus the years between the Sei data production and the TNT, and you have your real age
    For me the beauty of the Sei is explicit, she shows all what she has, and may be more, -chrome and so...- , while the glamor of the TNT is more perverse and hidden -you know...-.
    The truth is that they are two completely different beauties, without any coincidence except the brand and its exotism.

Cheers.

Carles

Member #
    Glad you got it running Carles, thats a nice pic too. Makes me think I should get mine on the road rather than spending so much time restoring the Kawasaki first.

You're probably right about most classic bike collectors being older. I know with mine that the Benelli and the Mk1 Lemans are bikes I lusted after but couldn't afford when I was a teenager but now have the time and money to have them. Reason for restoring a z650 is that I had one back in the 80s and it was my first decent road bike so always had a soft spot for them.
    76 Benelli Sei, 76 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Kawasaki z650, 98 BMW F650, 08 Suzuki DL650

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc59 View Post
    Glad you got it running Carles, thats a nice pic too. Makes me think I should get mine on the road rather than spending so much time restoring the Kawasaki first.

You're probably right about most classic bike collectors being older. I know with mine that the Benelli and the Mk1 Lemans are bikes I lusted after but couldn't afford when I was a teenager but now have the time and money to have them. Reason for restoring a z650 is that I had one back in the 80s and it was my first decent road bike so always had a soft spot for them.
    Thanks Doc59!.
    Age besides all of us who are doing this sort of things must have a young spirit.
    You have a nice collection and probably a lot of work to do. What happens with your Sei, is still to be rebuild or is ready to run?. Hope to see some pics soon.

Carles

Member #
    Carles photo is such a great comparison between the old and the new. It graphically shows why after all these years of riding I've gone away from the modern bikes and back to the classics. Somehow they just look right. All mine shake, rattle and roll and require more maintenance than ever but to me that's part of the attraction. They're like living breathing things - sort of like steam locomotives. Sure they can't cruise at today's high speeds (where you actually can) and they're easily beaten away from the stoplights by the modern bikes but firstly you've got to get to the front row to do that. And a Bonnie or a Spitfire with US spec bars is a lot easier to thread through a line of traffic than a new multi.

I can't see myself ever going back to a new bike now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors