How to change oil forks in a 750 SEI
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to change oil forks in a 750 SEI

Member #

How to change oil forks in a 750 SEI

Hi experts,
    I would like to replace the oil from the forks in my 750 Sei. The workshop manual seems to indicate that only unscrewing the central allen screw on the top of each fork and opening the draining screw is enough.
    But after doing this the oil flows out of the top, like no hole was to fill inside.
    Then I tried to unscrew the plate of the top of each fork (the one indicated by the red arrow in my photograph). This plate turns when you try to unscrew it but is impossible to take out, like if it was a "wheel" not a screwed part.

Anybody knows how to proceed on this and also which quantity of oil is needed for each fork ?, (the 80 cc suggested in the manual seams to be ridiculous...).

Thanks in advance!.

Carles

Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Hi Carles,

If its the same as the 250 2C then yes, that is the filling hole but it takes aaaaages. I had the same trouble with the 70cc (lol) I was supposed to fill. You could try pumping the forks, ever so gently. That's what I did and it speeded things up slightly. I had the forks out of the bike though. Good luck with it.

Just a thought, maybe loosening the drain screws at the bottom of each fork leg might let air out (until the oil starts to come out)?

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    With the Guzzi fork I do this one side at a time. Undo the the top yoke clamp bolt then remove the central bolt then the fork cap taking care not to damage its thread. Allow the fork to sag supported by the other side and this should reveal the damper and enough of a gap around it to pour oil down.

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks for your indications guys!.

Lee, nice to comfirm that the central screw gives pass to the oil (but very, very slowly). I will try to inject it with a syringe.

Cheers.

Carles
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    With the Guzzi fork I do this one side at a time. Undo the the top yoke clamp bolt then remove the central bolt then the fork cap taking care not to damage its thread. Allow the fork to sag supported by the other side and this should reveal the damper and enough of a gap around it to pour oil down.

Chris
    Thanks Chris,

I try to undo the fork cap and it needs a lot of strength to turn. After several turns it seems still not unscrew. Is it normal?. Does it needs a lot of turns?.
    Until now is impossible for me to fill up the oil.
    Regards!.

Carles

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi Carles,
    It's a fine thread and needs turning a many times with a big allen key - 14 or 17mm I think. You need to undo the pinch bolt on the upper triple clamp first.
    Chris

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    Hi Carles,
    It's a fine thread and needs turning a many times with a big allen key - 14 or 17mm I think. You need to undo the pinch bolt on the upper triple clamp first.
    Chris
    Hi Chris, many thanks for your advise. I was quite confused because the cap seemed not moving up, but knowing this, I will insist undoing it until ups enough.
    Cheers !.

Carles

Sponsors