benelli 500 ls
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: benelli 500 ls

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #

benelli 500 ls

great article in Octobers classic motorcycle mechanics about the Benelli 500 ls.The article features Selwyn Stickler and puts the record straight on comparisons to the Honda cb500 4. What the Honda lacks over the Benelli is sole that only an Italian bike can give.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    I'd love to dyno well sorted examples of these sohc 500s. Was the Benelli Quattro more powerful than the CB500. Was the 500LS less powerful than the Quattro? I saw Honda's last ever SOHC 4 the CB650z in Derbyshire on Friday - first time I'd ever seen one in the flesh.

Name
    Franco Andrea Dell'Oste AKA The Don
    Member #
    Ha, back in the day, my then girlfriend had a cb650 four, sluggish, heavy and not much fun to ride i seem to remember..... did everything well enough, but certainly no soul, and sounded like a constipated sewing machine!
    franco

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hey Franco,
    Sluggish and stodgy, no doubt that's why they didn't sell many! I have a the deeper CB650 sump somewhere which is suposed to help cooling on the 6s - must fit it someday.

FBM
    Member #

HP curves

Here is a dyno run of my 78 single cam 500/4. 58.2 RWHP

Engine has a lightened crank, 550 Honda pistons, 29mm CR Kehien carbs.

The entire gearbox (all clusters and shafts) from a 550 honda fit directly into the Benelli cases, no mods. Even the Honda kickstarter fit right at the stock Benelli knock-out plug, as the 78's were electric start only.

intake manifolds were smoothed too.

Stock? manifold matching was terrible. no runs, but my guesss stock, HP would be in the 40 RWHP range.

Mike

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi Mike,
    Sorry for the late reply... Top machine and what a fab race track power curve! Did you widen the inlet tracts to match the carbs or just taper to match? If you can drop a Honda gearbox straight in that's a great help as it will fit any of the larger fours and sixes as well!

Chris

Member #
    Selwyn Stickler quoted in a bike mag? What's the world coming to? One can only speculate as to how much he was paid or perhaps to the pressure exerted on him, to collaborate with the comics. Either way, at least he can be relied upon to give them complete shite.

FBM
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Sorry for the late reply... Top machine and what a fab race track power curve! Did you widen the inlet tracts to match the carbs or just taper to match? If you can drop a Honda gearbox straight in that's a great help as it will fit any of the larger fours and sixes as well!

Chris

I'm running 29mm CRs, the inlet tracks were widened and port matched to the heads. They are a little thin, but they work.

Yup, gear box, fit right in. Only the electric boot could not be used. I had to install the Honda kickstarter.

Name
    Rob Fitzmaurice™
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FBM View Post
    Here is a dyno run of my 78 single cam 500/4. 58.2 RWHP

Engine has a lightened crank, 550 Honda pistons, 29mm CR Kehien carbs.

The entire gearbox (all clusters and shafts) from a 550 honda fit directly into the Benelli cases, no mods. Even the Honda kickstarter fit right at the stock Benelli knock-out plug, as the 78's were electric start only.

intake manifolds were smoothed too.

Stock? manifold matching was terrible. no runs, but my guesss stock, HP would be in the 40 RWHP range.

Mike
    I love the look of those models, what's the writing/signature on the side panel

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

FBM
    Member #
    The front fender and the right sidecover are signed by:
    Gary Nixon, Jay Srpingsteen, Mert Lawill, (on the sidecover) Giacamo Agostini, Dave Roper, Eraldo Ferraci and Dick Mann.

Sponsors