650S plugs and fuel taps
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 650S plugs and fuel taps

FBM
    Member #

650S plugs and fuel taps

1) What spark plugs are you guys with 650S twins running? Book calls for CW240L Marelli's; I THINK the crossover to Champion is N4C and NGK B7ES.

2) Anyone know an english speaking vendor for ES376 and ES376/1 fuel taps? I need stock, complete fuel taps for my 73. I've got Laverda repops, that "work"...but aren't correct.

3) What are my chances of finding a left side only, nearly NOS muffler? Or am I better off rechroming mine

4) Anyone make a good fitting cafe style seat for the Tornado? If not, anyone have a beat seat pan that they want to sell so I can modify it?
    thanks

(PS; I'm in the US)

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Wolfgang Hearter at Columbia car and cycle has some parts for these old fuel taps such as the ally float bowl nut. If you didn't get them with your bike it's not looking good. I wonder if anything could be done with the Guzzi straight down exit taps like your Laverda ones Disco Volante sell. Could they be modified to take the nut? You would then have to make the perspex float bowl and pot metal spigot yourself

http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/pe.../prod_659.html

Below is a bad pic of an Orlandi Tornado tap with Wolfgang's float bowl nut, the spigot and the old, perished float bowl glass. I've been trying to find time to fix these for years but the Laverda copies work well enough so they are still on the bike. I can supply any dimensions, the main problem for me is the sealing washers, I'm making some wad punches for this but can't find cheap 1mm or less viton rubber sheet. The nitrile I get just swells in modern fuels - any suggestions?

Spark plugs are B6ES / B7ES. Cosmo were selling the CW240L pinks for a while so I bought some and didn't notice any difference but my machine could do with a tune up anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    oh and!

Mufflers available from the guys in the suppliers list but you lose the Lafranconi stamps :-(

The bump seat came as part of a Tomaselli hop up kit containing clip ons, shortened headlamp ears and the seat. I have only got the short headlamp ears. It's quite easy to make a fibreglass seat base using your existing one but some effort and you'll need to dissemble what may be your priceless perfect seat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

FBM
    Member #
    I have the original taps that came with the bike in a box. they are disassembled....they PO tried to fix them, but couldn't. I have to conduct a science experiment to fix them.

The problem I have with the repops is the sealing washer. In the old ones, there is a large rubber seal. In the Lav repops, there is a small plastic ring. Mine were tough to seal, and I don't trust them. The ring crushes up into the pipe, against the standpipes. crap design

My original pipe has a rash spot on it, I guess I'll live with it.

The seat? I don't want to ruin mine, so I guess I'll look for a used one.

PLugs? running B7s now. the B8 fouled pretty quickly.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    If you machine new site glasses for the taps use perspex or better. The tougher polycarbonate is worse with petrol than the more brittle perspex (acrylic). I'm sure there's a more fuel resistant clear plastic out there and I'd really love to get hold of some. I'd make some metal ones at the same time so you can swap them out when it all goes horribly wrong! If I find some decent rubber for washers I'll make you a set. Wolfgang has some tap rubbers. I use teflon plumbers tape with good results on taps that wont seal to the boss.
    Last edited by Tornadoboy; 01-18-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Strictly Roots
    Member #

Mufflers

[QUOTE=Tornadoboy;103479]oh and!

Mufflers available from the guys in the suppliers list but you lose the Lafranconi stamps :-(

Hi, I've just bought a '72 Tornado 650s and am looking for mufflers but can't find a supplier list on this site. Any chance you could send me link?

thanks, Ken

Sponsors