Hello and help! for my 900 sei
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello and help! for my 900 sei

Member #

Hello and help! for my 900 sei

Hello all, New member here with a 900 that I just bought last week. A 1983 USA model with 11,000 miles in fair condition, running but not well. I put 12 miles on her and noticed the 5&6 pipes turning gold, not blue yet. Pull carbs and proceed to check and clean them. I get to carb #3 and WOW! it is not a VHBZ22 like the others, but a VHB22 with a different slide and needle!

Looks like I am F*cked. I Hardly know where to start. I would guess that finding a VHBZ22D carb is going to be difficult at best. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks,

George B

Name
    steve peace
    Member #
    Hi
    Where are you based I might be able to help you
    Steve

Name
    steve peace
    Member #
    Hi george
    All carbs you have on your bike are the wrong size they are for the 504/654 bikes (Ie too small) the correct carbs for your bike are
    3x VHB24
    24 choke
    40 slide
    needle jet 262AE
    needle E3 set on 2nd notch
    Main Jet 102
    Pilot Jet 45
    Starter Jet 50
    Float weight 14 Grams
    Now all you need is new or used carbs!
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Steve, I am in east Tennessee, USA. My USA supplement to the owner's manual says the US model had a choke size of 22mm. Ugh. Oddly , all of the jet sizes, etc. are the same!

Looks like I have to find a VHBZ22-d, or find a set of VHB24 carbs. Anybody have some spare ones or take-offs??

Any help is appreciated.

Frustrated in Tennessee,

George B

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Yes, I've heard of some sixes coming with 22mm VHBs. There's a chap over here with a bank of 22s. The body is the same size as the 24mm carb and can probably be bored out. Alternatively NOS 26mm carbs from the Ducati parallel twin are available on Ebay Italy at a very good price. You'd have to jet these yourself though. They need one hole drilling and tapping to fit the back plate. Otherwise I think the V50 MK2 Guzzi uses 24s.

Chris

Member #
    Thank you, Chris and Steve.

After examining the carbs, it appears that the bodies are the same but for this: The VHBZ has a straight-thru bore 0f 22mm.
    The VHB has a bore that is 22mm from the opening to just past the slide, where it opens out to a bore of 27mm at the head side.

The slides have different numbers but they appear to be the same cutaway. Thejets and atomiser are the same but the needles are different:

The two VHBZs have E 3 needles.
    The VHB has an E 35 needle which is quite different.

So, it appears that if I get an E 3 needle, the only difference will be the difference in the bore at the back side of the carb.

I am starting to feel a little better. Now to find an E 3 needle!

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    I'm not sure where you get old dello stuff in the US but dellorto.co.uk have most stuff and benelliparts.de is often cheaper.... If you want a second hand 22mm body I'm sure someone here can help out.

Chris

Member #
    Anupdate: I found a set of vhb 24 carbs and mounted them and it seems to work OK now. Now I have other problems to deal with which I will post.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors