254 Quattro
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 254 Quattro

Member #

254 Quattro

I have to say its really cool for me to be posting on a Benelli forum. I got to see them raced at Laguna WSBK and i'm sure most of us there remember the beautiful Benelli's more than who won. And the wailing sound as they accelerated up the hill!!! WOW!!! I could be happy with one of those bikes for a long long time. Well I got my first Benelli, I hope you can overlook the name tags on it as I think it fits in here. Its an outstanding bike, very good condition for 13,000km's but has a couple issues. I'm a good mechanic, machinist and would like to share bringing it up to a reliable daily rider that doesn't mind a hard ride in the hills. When I say hard ride I mean riding quickly with others on small bikes. If that sounds like a lot to ask i'll have to say its almost there other than some shifting and jetting issues. This things a freaking blast to jet around on. Its easy to imagine your on twice the bike at twice speed. Rails around turns. If I get stopped by the cops i'll get arrested for laughing.

Have any here messed with a shift shaft like this. Its pushing the pins back instead of rotating the drum sometimes. The sliding pins in the shaft and pins in the drum don't show any wear or damage. I'm thinking of tweaking the pins in the drum outward a few thousandths at a time to see if it helps the sliding pin catch it. I'm going to use a steel rod with a hole in the end to slip over the roll pins in the drum to tweak them. The problem got real bad when I put Mobile 1 in.

Last edited by edgefinder; 08-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Thats one nice looking bike, i hope you get it sorted and up and running. ron d

Member #
    Congratulations and enjoy restoring this nice Quattro.
    Post pics of the improvements...
    Carles
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Colin
    Member #
    Hey there

I have also got a 254... its been in bits for a very long time as I am NOT a good mechanic Just starting to put her back together again after 2 years restoring bits and acquiring parts - a lot more than I had planned for! Interesting you have shifting problems as I had this when I first got her before I started to strip it down. I ran some cleaner through the engine and then took her for a run and it seemed to clear the problem. I would be interested to know what you find.

Also, if you have any advice on how you went about tuning it, I would be interested to know as I know they can be a bit tricky to tune, particularly due to the position of the mixture screws on the carbs. I bought new carbs for mine as the old ones were very bad, but it was running very rich.

Keep us posted anyway!

Col
    Benelli Tornado LE #128
    Benelli 254 (in bits!)

Member #
    I'm pretty quick with getting carbs off an on now. Hard part is getting motovated to do it yet again. I've run full airbox, open carbs, cb350f velocity stacks with pvc and hose adaptors, the stacks with foam or k&n prefilter material like in the first post pic. The more restrictive and its too rich to rev out. Least restrictive and a little choke and it revs to 10,000. Couldn't find a happy medium but I can get there. I've settled on stock airbox and filter without the lid on. It revs through the range noticably better or quicker without glitches and sounds good. My carb to airbox rubbers were cracked where they go on the carbs so I trimmed the flange and use 1 1/4" ID radiator hose to join them. This also made it possible to use the airbox as its a freaking rubics cube design to work on. The wire harness wraps around the airbox and needs disconnecting to have room to get filter and lid in. The filter slips in fine by itself. Also the fuel tank can come on and off now as the petcocks won't hit the airbox lid. Back to tuning i'm getting a clear floatbowl from a scooter shop to get float bowl levels as close as I can. I check syncronization with a piece of tube from ear to carb. My left exhaust has rusted out. Its gotton a lot louder since I started riding it. I have materials ordered for new pipes. I just hope there worthy of a picture when finished. When thats finished I can sort out the jets. My biggest running problem is it doesn't want to drop down to idle when I come to a stop. When it finally does i'm blipping the throttle to keep it going. They do have 4 or 5 slide cutaway sizes available and these are the smallest richest. I can cut them higher myself but i'm wondering why I should have to if the bikes completely stock.

I took the shift shaft sliding pins out and ground the corner back so the pins stick out .03" more. Seemed to do the trick. I pulled the oil pan and tried shimming the shift detent plunger spring as it wasn't even touching the shift drum. A friend suggested streaching the old spring so yeah I played with streched length till I can shift easily by hand. I should mention that when I took the pan off it had what may have been a corse fibre filter around the oil pickup. I've never dug that much crap out of a pan before. Thought about pulling the oil pump, pressure relief valve and checking pressure when done. Another thing on the list.

Name
    Colin
    Member #
    Wow that really makes me realise how little chance I have of getting mine running right
    One of the benelli club members wrote an article on tuning the 254, you might find it useful? Let me know if you get to a final procedure that works. Before I took mine apart it ran similar to how you describe - would not idle, seemed to be running rich and wouldnt rev out. At that point it was running without the airbox as that needed a new filter. I will see how she runs when I get her back together.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9DV...thkey=CPWUnrsI

Cheers

Col

ps - Where are you based?
    Benelli Tornado LE #128
    Benelli 254 (in bits!)

Member #
    Wow that really makes me realise how little chance I have of getting mine running right
    These aren't average bikes! Yours is just waiting to wake up an show you what its got!

Challenged is me getting your link to open. No worries, a kid or one of my drunk friends stumbeling home from the bar will sort it out.

I found a Motorad article where they tune one to 30ps. Haven't got it and translated yet.

I'm in Oklahoma, center of the US. Flatland cattle country.
    Last edited by edgefinder; 08-19-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Sponsors