What a disaster!
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a disaster!

Member #

What a disaster!

Trying to disassemble the ignition axle screw, it has been broken .
    I suppose there are no other options than try to drill carefully and use a counter screw, besides to pray...
    Any ideas?.

Thanks.

Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Yes, you want to use a sharp drill and be sure to keep it running parallel. It may be worth making a contraption to help hold the drill still and mounting it on the crank case. The crank is quite hard and the bolt is soft so that should help. Once the core of the bolt is removed the thread can be removed with the very careful use of a pick and a tap. Making a left handed spade drill or buying a left hand flute drill and drilling backwards with a pistol drill might unscrew the bolt as soon as it frees up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit

Alternatively you could try to directly arc weld, solder, braze or glue a shaped tool into the broken end after drilling a hole into it. I'm not sure how this could be done.

Failing that the safest thing to do is to removed the crank shaft and have a company use their spark eroder on it.

Member #
    Many thanks for your comments Chris, they are a strong support to overcome this situation.
    Will post (hope so) the improvements.

Kind regards.

Carles
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Good news!.

I followed the above mentioned procedure, being very careful in making a perfect centered hole. Then, I have applied the conical counter screw tool, and the broken part has come like a magic trick. Has been a fantastic .
    Thanks for the online help, Chris.

Carles.

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Good job
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Member #
    Thanks Laurence.
    But now this succes has become an obsesion. Now I want to counter screw with my Bosch "hand gun" any problematic screw like those ones which are fixing the condensators...

Member #
    Good job mate, glad it came out so easily for you. From where the bolt broke, I'm guessing it was over tightened last time, would have been much harder if it was corroded in. Don't get too fond of the ezout (common name for your conical tool), they can break too. Really hard to remove a bolt with a broken ezout in it.
    76 Benelli Sei, 76 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Kawasaki z650, 98 BMW F650, 08 Suzuki DL650

Name
    Ashley Clarke
    Member #
    Was about to add a warning about the old eezeeout Snap one of those off in a busted stud and you really are in bother. And yes, I've done it more than once.
    Ash

Member #
    Many thanks Doc59, also for the TDP tips. I need the TDP to adjust the new electronic ignition.
    You are right about the bolt, it was overtightened by... me . I thought that was the surrounding large nut which was needed to unscrew and this mistake make to broke the central nut. Nevertheless it broke without too much effort and makes me to think that was weakened previously.
    Before to return the ezout to the local mechanic this afternoon I did also the 3 condensers fixing bolts, which was also impossible to unscrew. What a pleasure guys!.
    As also mentions AshleyC and the local mechanic if this ezout breaks, is terrible, but this time it was easier work because non of the bolts was corroded. "Give me an ezout and I will unscrew the world" as the philosoph said

Thanks guys.

Have a nice weekend.

Carles

Member #
    Hi guys, the problem has repeated again but this time trying to open a bottle of wine for this night. The corkscrew has been broken in the Benelli style. I thought to use the ezout, but I did not want to take any risk in order to enjoy of my favourit wine. Thanks to the experience of these days and your suggestions but using domestic tools, finally I did it!.

Salud!.

Carles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors