Removing the spag clutch Benelli Tornado 650
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing the spag clutch Benelli Tornado 650

Name
    Glyn Pickering
    Member #

Removing the sprag clutch

I seem to have duplicated this post. Please refer earlier post.
    Last edited by NZGlyn; 02-02-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Earlier post duplicated

Name
    Glyn Pickering
    Member #

Spag Clutch Update

I managed to remove the sprag clutch from the crankshaft by carefully prising it off, when the flats are, with 2 tyre levers, use simultaneously. It came off quite easily. I opened the unit by bending back the 2 tabs on the cover plate and slowly knocking off the cover. That was quite tricky. The inner bearing has 22 lop shaped bearings inside. My unit the spring/bearings were skewed to the side and is not repairable (as far as I can see). Luckily Burian can supply the inner bearing at 91E. Hopefully I should have a working starter again in a few weeks.

Name
    Lee
    Member #
    Glyn,

I have the same project in my future. Did you take any pictures by any chance?

Thanks,

Lee

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Glyn Pickering
    Member #

Spag Clutch Repair

Hi Lee, I can take some if you like but as it turned out if was quite straightforward. You have to take off the two left hand engine cases. Make sure you label all the screws since they are different lengths. I took the chance to replace them all with stainless since my allen (hex) headed screws were rusting. The electric main starter at the top of the motor can be left in situ. To get to the spag cluch you have to remove the generator coils. I also did this by carefully levering the unit from behind. It popped off quite sharply (and whacked my knee), so a soft landing area is recommended. There is a tool for that in the manual, you could make one ( Detlef sells it). The inner starter chain cover once removed reveals all the inner sprockets etc. Make a careful note of what goes where as you dissemble it. I was a bit slack and didn't note how the 2 large bowed washers fitted. I'll have to study the manual closely to reassemble them. The starter chain has a small link which is a little tricky to remove. Make sure it is facing the correct way (same logic as the rear chain). Remove the chain and the lower sprocket and inner needle bearing should slide off. It would pay to take lots of pics as you go. I did'nt but should have. The sprag clutch unit should now be visible and you can see the inner rollers. They should be all sprung and lightly touching the crank. Mine were not. The sprag unit has 2 small flats at the rear where the top metal cover is bend over. These 2 flats are designed to put puller legs onto. None of my pullers would fit since the space is so tight. I was going to make some one off puller legs then I thought about tyre levers. My levers are broad, long but with thin ends and I could just get them onto the flats. Very carefully I eased the unit off. It came off quite easily. It was not loctited on and there is a woodruff key there which thankfully is in good shape. I carefully bent back the metal of the top plate, on the flats and eased off the metal cover. I put the two edges resting on a wide mouthed vice and put a large socket in the center. I then hit the socket while rotating the unit. The cover has been pressed on I think and was an extremly tight fit. Be patient and work slowly at this stage. The bearing is nw exposed. Careful here, take another picture since those kinked rollers will only work in one direction (I think), So it will pay to put the new bearing in the same way. This is at the stage I am now. I have a new bearing on the way from Detlef with a new paper gasket. I will update progress when I start to reassemble. I you want pics just e mail me on [email protected] but is will only be a shot of where it is at the moment since no "ïn progress" pics were taken. I may be asking to see yours! Cheers Glyn.

Sponsors