1976 750 Sei Help
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1976 750 Sei Help

Name
    Vince Ciotti
    Member #

1976 750 Sei Help

Struggling with 2 items on my old Sei:

1. Points - bought a new set from Detlef Burian in Germany who's been a great source of Sei parts over the years, but having a hard time getting them to work. Seems they go in with too much gap, which translates to too much dwell. Probably something dumb I'm doing wrong!? Anyone have better luck buying new points somewhere else...

2. Front fork bearings - anyone know how many bearings are supposed to go in the upper versus lower races? Trying to re-pack mine and botching it up (as usual...)

Thanks!

Vince Ciotti

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi vince,
    I had some points from Burian for the tornado and they weren't quite right. They fitted but the spring monting was all wrong and the moving contact floated about a bit. Maybe an idea to compare with originals. I hunted down nos points for the 650 but not fitted yet. The sasche ignition is nice and easy to fit if expensive! Chris

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Ball Bearings

Hi Vince, looking for similar info about the steering stem bearings. My basket case came with perfect head races but none of the ball bearings. Can anyone tell me the size and amount of ball bearings that i need for upper and lower.....Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Steering Head Bearing Balls

Apparently stock ones are 4mm not a 1/4 like I thought they were.
    Will get some good quality ones down my local bearing shop...will let you know how many required when I fit them.

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Sei Red

Bearings 4mm for steering head were $7 for 100 down the bearing shop also got front/rear wheel bearings.
    Might take them back and trade them for super cool ceramic bearings they had in. Spin a wheel with normal bearing goes round for a minute or two. With the ceramics you spin it it will go around for many hours.....amazing!!!

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Bearings

OK Something doesn't look good here.....Fitted 4mm bearings to the steering head top and bottom. Took 36 each side but they seem a little small???Anyway was assured these were correct by a Benelli expert.
    Anyway with the lower triple tree in and the steering sys top ring nipped up it doesn't seem that smooth.
    Also from the parts diagram there is a shaped washer that fits above the steering sys top ring then the upper triple tree which clamps onto the top nut. Only trouble is that top nut will stick about 1/8th of an inch proud of the upper triple tree even when tightened. Is this normal or should it sit flush with the top of the triple tree. TIA

Name
    Vince Ciotti
    Member #

Points & Bearings

Hey Orlando 6 - we're neighbors, communicating via a web site 3,000 miles away! I live in Polk City FLA during the winter - summers I'm in Santa Fe, NM. Give me a call (505/466-4958) or email ([email protected]) and maybe we can have a local Sei rally next winter?

Sorry this is a late reply but all my problems got taken care of by my fantastic wrench: Bobby Thompsom who works at Winter Haven Honda (all I know how to do is write checks!). He's a superb vintage bike mechanic and takes care of all 8 of mine: 863/221-7328. That's his cell which is often off when his hands are full of grease, so be patient! He figured out the bearings on mine and it rides great now. Also put in Detlef's pointless ignition system which works like a charm!

Regards,

Vince

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Sei

Hey Vince, glad to hear from you. If I ever (when ) get this thing on the road we'll definitely get a Sei meet on the go.
    Thanks for the referral of your mechanic, I like to do most things but the electrics on this Sei looks really dodgy so may have to call in reinforcements on that......will post some pics of my 2 Sei's this weekend. I got 2 for $200 that should tell you what kind of a state they are/were in.....

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Fellow Sei owner

Hi Vince,
    Tried calling you once but no luck. I also tried calling your mechanic and got a right old "grumpy bugger" on the end of the phone. When I asked him if he worked on your bike he said 'I don't work for anyone" and slammed the phone down I think the number might be wrong. Anyway will e-mail you, if your Sei is in great condition would like to take a look at it for reference
    P.S did you do something to your wiring/Fuse system to make it better than stock?

Sponsors