Powder coating Sei 750 frame parts
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Powder coating Sei 750 frame parts

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Powder coating Sei 750 frame parts

Hi there just about to take my frame and other black parts for powder coat. There are some items that are obviously like a satin black (Chainguard, upper/lower triple trees to name a few).
    Were the frame, stands etc a hi gloss black originally or something a bit less (90% Gloss Black). Just that polishing up an original spot on the frame doesn't look to be a high gloss but that could have flattened over time.....Thanks

Member #
    I don't recommend powder coating for frames. If rust is spreading under the coat, you will see the rust even if it is to late...And nevertheless: There was no powder coating used in the 70/80ties.
    I don't know how many miles you will ride per year. Is it worth to use powder coating?

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Powder coat

Matthias, the guy who powder coated my Kawasaki H2C is a genius.
    Not only does he prep the parts to perfection, getting me to check them if he is concerned about anything, he also gets perfect match for any shade that I want. The finish cannot be matched by paint and is of course as you say more durable. The fact that his prices are more than reasonable is an added bonus. I could do 2 pack paint but why when I have this guy to sort it ???

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Sei

Stripped down my later type forks and the lower outers are looking rough. They looked to have a paint type finish until about 4 in from the top where it then is polished. Under some DMV stickers found the original finish silver color with a very slightest of green tint to it. Will get this matched up at the powder coaters tomorrow then after coating will get the top of them polished.
    My inners are completely pitted. Anyone recommend Hard Chromers in the U.S who can do them? Can only find ones that do large orders only....Thanks

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Sei

Got my parts back from powder coaters today, well happy with the results. Frame, stands, swing arm and foot peg hangers all gloss. Triple trees, chain guard etc nice satin black. Think I might try to rebuild engine and get it in the frame before doing anything else. By myself so will try to put the frame over the engine like I did on my H2C. Pics soon as soon as I work out how to use the camera on the wife's I pad mini.

Member #
    Did you protect any threads and have you got your earth points free of coating?
    Ian

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Frame

All threads are protected. I always go over them with tap/die when it gets back just as a precaution before any assembly. I normally take the powder coating off any earthing points I know of. On my Kaw H2 only had to do the coil mounting points and the main frame earthing point.
    I expect it will be the same with this bike. It's going back together from a box of bits so I will find out where to earth it as I go I suppose. If you have any pointers please let me know......Thanks again

Sponsors