Getting '74 Benelli 650S back on the road
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting '74 Benelli 650S back on the road

Member #

Getting '74 Benelli 650S back on the road

Greetings from Minnesota, USA! This is my first post on this forum and was glad to find it. I have owned a '73 250 2C for about 25 years and have managed to keep it running pretty good (note it spent a good chunk of it's existence in storage). I am pretty adept at finding parts for this bike and my recently acquired '74 650S. The 650 is the reason for my posting here today. It is in fair shape and very complete with a little more than 10K miles on the odometer. It is not currently running but I am determined to change that! My focus at this time is sorting out the electrics. I am looking for any advice regarding bringing my electrical system back up to snuff and/or how to improve it. I did look through the posts ahead of time and hope I am not being redundant...thanks in advance.

Name
    Lee
    Member #
    Hi - Welcome to the forum. I've been working on my '73 Tornado for about 8 months now. (from AZ) I've documented most of the trials and tribulations at http://benellitornado650.blogspot.com/ if you want to have a look. Currently dealing with some ignition issues (left cylinder only fires under load) - but otherwise haven't had much trouble with electrics. If it's helpful, I can tell or show you how my bike is wired.

Lee

Member #
    Thanks for the link...it is encouraging and motivating to see someone else tackling this type of project. In addition to the my electrical issues, my left cylinder reads about 60 psi and a leakdown test shows both valves leaking...will get to that next. My fusebox is a toast but I have found a replacement...a few wires are melted and there is a couple oddly placed wires...but I have pretty much memorized the wiring diagram by this point so I look forward to getting it all straight again. I also have quite a bit of side to side play in my swing arm. In any event I look forward to following your progress and hopefully learning from it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Currently wrestling with the wiring to the multifunction handlebar switch. Wiring diagram shows a total of 7 wires...Anybody have a picture they could share of their switch and the wiring inside?

Name
    Lee
    Member #
    You may have this sorted by now (sorry I was traveling). But just in case I posted a pic of mine on my blog http://benellitornado650.blogspot.com/ - go to the CEV Handlebar switch page.

My bike doesn't have turn signals so this will only help with 5 of the 7.

Lee

Member #
    Thanks Lee....your pic is helpful. Would it be
    possible for you to tell me what color wires
    you have coming from your starter/key switch and which
    terminals they are connected to on the switch?
    The four terminals are labeled 57,15/54,INT, and 30.
    My wiring chart is difficult to read.

Name
    Lee
    Member #
    The hot wire goes through the fuse box (additional pictures posted) and from there connects to the ignition at position labeled "INT".

Member #
    Thanks for the pics again...my fuse box is a bit different from yours but your info jives with what I believe my wiring diagram to show...its all coming together one wire at a time!

Member #
    Getting close to completing the rewire! It was quite a mess. Trying to confirm the proper wiring for the headlight indicator light (between the tach and speedo)..diagram shows 2 wires on one spade...one wire goes to the back of the headlight and the other to ground. Can you take a look at yours as mine has the one wire going to the headlight bucket and the other is disconnected. If you look under the instrument cluster it is the only light with one spade and two wires. Any help would be appreciated.

Name
    Lee
    Member #
    I'm traveling and will look at mine and respond over the weekend.
    Last edited by Hath337; 05-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors