750 Sei; can it be saved?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 750 Sei; can it be saved?

Member #

750 Sei; can it be saved?

Hello new here, little about me I live in LA and am more then a little obsessed with motorcycles. I love all kinda of em and have owned many different bikes over the last ten years since I started riding. Recently I've been building choppers for fun but I also love sports bikes and old classics.

My neighbor is somewhat of a horder and once told me he had an 1978 750 Sei. So today I asked him if he would want to sell it. He took me back to where most of it has been sitting for the last 30 or so years. It's crusty as hell. All 6 pipes are there but the muffler are rusted beyond repair although the headers might be useable. He says he has the tank and seat inside in one of his attics in perfect condition. Also has the service maunals for it. He said something about it needing a new transmission when it was parked back in 1979.

So take a look at the pictures and the question is is this bike worth the 200 bucks he is asking and is it salvageable? I would love to restore it but I don't know if it's gonna be more of a headache then it's worth.

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    That looks like a big project but probably doable with loads of time and money. It's probably worth $200 just for the engine alone.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Member #
    Thats a steal @ $200 but its also alot of work. labor of love comes to mind

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Christopher Child
    Member #
    Buy it ! It maybe difficult and long restoration project but these 750 Sei are rare and are getting expensive to buy.On the other hand you could sell the parts and make a good profit for yourself.This would help to keep the remaining 750s alive and everyone would be happy

Member #
    Engine, carburators and electric system seems to be complete. Also the frame and most of the visible parts like air filter box, dashboard, etc. May be I am wrong but I consider that dirt hides quite complete parts . Exhaust system for sure must be replaced. Most of the work is cleaning, sanding and painting. Engine parts will improve dramatically by polishing and thermic paint.
    Is a good point to start without spending too much money and you will have enough time to save money for the spare parts needed
    If you love this model go on. The price is a bargain. You will not regret.
    Carles
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

Member #
    Thanks guys I'm going to go ahead and pick it up. Ill post more photos once it's in my garage. Will be totally different restoring this then the harley chopping I've been doing lately. Pretty excited about this!

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #

Sei

I bought 2 just like that for $200 with titles, one complete and one in boxes.
    I have the complete one sat there as a reference point and began restoring the one in boxes.
    The biggest problem will be freeing up the engine and working on it to get it apart. It's a big lump and a bit awkward.
    As a project if you have time to clean and prepare little by little it will come together. Majority of parts out there.
    P.S Seems like you have 2 different types of indicators on it. The chrome ones are still available along with the stems. The ones at the rear with the side reflector are not, I need one of those stems if you wont be going with them I would buy it off you.....Thanks

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #
    Just managed to start posting some pics on the Sei 1977 restoration thread. The one in boxes was probably no better if not worse than the one you are looking at.

Name
    Shane
    Member #

If I bought that for £200 I'd need that crutch in the first photo as my wife would probably give me a right royal kicking.

Seriously good luck and keep us updated on the progress. Make sure it's resprayed red.

“No, no, no.
    There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful.”

Jeremy Clarkson

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #
    Surprisingly my wife has taken a strange liking to the Sei after not showing any interest in any of my bikes in the last 10 years or so. She is even encouraging me to finish it.....pretty worrying really....

Sponsors