Should i or shouldn't i
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Should i or shouldn't i

Member #

Should i or shouldn't i

I have been riding bikes since i was a kid (am now 50), never got involved with older bikes, always modern. i have a bmw tourer and a suzuki gsxr 1000.
    I was recently given a benelli 750 sei that has been in a brick garage for twenty years. It is fairly complete apart from speedo and the six pipes. The plugs are seized in the head and the engine is also seized. I have got myself some manuals and have tinkered with the idea of renovating it. After seeing some and hearing some on you tube i would love to ride it.
    But as a bit of a novice mechanic, am i biting off more than i can chew. I have given myself two years , but even getting the plugs out is quite hard, what do i need to get the middle four out, the two outside ones were easy.
    I am sure this will give some of you a chuckle but i am going to give it a go. I think i will definately need to pick some brains from time to time . Any tips are greatly appreciated
    AJ

Member #
    Dazzy,
    I think you should give it a go. I have never restored a Sei but have done quite a few other Italian bikes. Start using penetrating fluid on the plugs and try to move them each day- it may be that you will have to wait for engine removal to get at the middle plugs properly. Also get some fluid into the bores via the ports and try to kick the engine over each day as well. After you get the plugs out and the engine free I would get the parts you think you will need. The pipes will be expensive but seeing that the bike was given to you that should be OK. I generally prefer to try to go back to original but that is a personal choice. Another personal choice is to use original fasteners and not stainless. I try to do a bit every day no matter how small. Take plenty of photos before you really start and also as you go. The more the better. If you post a picture it would give us an idea what you are up against.
    Ian

Member #
    Thanks ian. that is helpful. Its kinda what i planned to do and just backs it up. I will start taking photos and get some on here asap. Thanks for your time and input. AJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Hi Dazzy,

I'm in a similar situation, I have just been given a 500 Quattro ...in boxes of bits! Apparently all the components are there but there is a lot of surface corrosion so everything will need to be refinished. I haven't worked on motorbikes before so it should be an interesting journey to put it all back together again. Perhaps we should compare notes as we go, a bit of encouragement from time to time never goes astray!

cheers,

Carl
    Brisbane, Australia

Member #
    Carl,
    In the past 2 years I have sold 3 500cc Quattros. One was new and went to the Gold Coast. The other two comprised of o going bike and one in parts. As there aren't many of these bikes in Australia I wonder if you end up with the parts bike that I sold a while back? These bikes are excellent machines and are worth restoring. I have a little bit of info and a few parts.
    Ian

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Hi Ian,

I have seen yours for sale previously - the metallic blue, the colour really suited it. I got mine from my father who bought it at auction over 10 years ago. It has been sitting in his garage ever since gathering dust/rust. It is red with 8,800km on the clock.

Thanks for the offer of assistance - much appreciated. What info do you have? I have a couple of workshop manuals and a parts catalogue (if anybody wants scanned copies just let me know and I can forward them on).

I shall PM you with a list of any spare parts I need once I have finished going through the boxes and ticking them off in the parts catalogue. That could take some time...

Do you go to the Laverda bike show at Cleveland today? Only one Benelli present, a racing bike. I shall try to post a picture of it later on here (once I figure out how to do it ;-)

Carl

Member #
    Carl,
    It may help to get a Sei parts book photocopy as it will tell you what parts are specifically Quattro, and there aren't many. I may be able to put you in touch with the chap who bought the 2 second hand Quattros. He is out at Kingaroy. I have been going to the Laverda Show for a very long time, taking a bike nearly every time which is a bit of effort. I took an MV Agusta 750 last year that I had restored from crap and couldn't score a place . The judging was strange. The decrease in Italian entries over the years supports that. Also, they leave it too late to announce the results...when everyone has gone home at 3:00pm and then we have about 5 hours to get back home if we hang around. If you can send /post a few photos of what you have I may be able to give you a few ideas.
    Ian

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    Hi Dazzy,
    I am restoring Benelli 750 sei at the moment and I tell you how much satisfaction I get out of the project.When carnking the shaft you need to be careful,..in my case someone drilled thru the plug leaving metal bits inside the bore.With the engine it is really good idea to put it on the bench and see what is inside and rectify or replace possible wear and tear parts.
    Price for set of six pipe is 1000 euros from Burian.I am using parts from Honda.Kawasaki,Moto Guzzi....
    Cheers
    Jerzy

Sponsors