New owner 1973 Benelli 250 special sport
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New owner 1973 Benelli 250 special sport

Member #

New owner 1973 Benelli 250 special sport

Hi

I just acquired a Benelli Motobi 250 sport special and am hunting a few items in order to restore her.

Can anyone help me locate the following please,

Correct seat cover,
    Correct Taillight,
    Correct tank decals,
    Foot peg rubbers.
    Service manual and parts book,

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

egg motor fan
    Member #
    Congratulations and welcome. I own two Benelli Supersports (it's Supersport, not special sport). If you'll look at the top of the page, you'll see a sticky for parts suppliers-classics - that's where the parts suppliers are listed. Except for the seat cover, that is- I don't think you'll ever find that. Tank badges: I've seen both the plastic ones you have, and white vinyl logos. Both my Benellis had white vinyl and I had those ( and the "250 Supersport" tool box lid graphics that you're missing) made locally- you'll have to do the same.

You don't list any location- are you in the UK, or USA perhaps?

Member #
    Hi Sandman,

Thanks for the acceptance and the info, I have already been scouring through those items and searching the net. The seat cover is one item that is extremely hard to locate, the decals I have located via this site, http://www.heorteig.com/
    The rest I have located via chap on eBay who has been very helpful.

Interesting the terminology with Super Sport or Special Sport, it has been confusing probably the Italian process. I have always liked this model. I also have a 1974 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1942 WLA Harley Davidson, so little variety.

I am based in Australia on the east coast in Port Macquarie.

Cheers

Brett

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

egg motor fan
    Member #
    Brett:
    Yes, Supersport or Sport Special, who knows for certain? I've thought that the Sport Special name was from the earlier 125/250 egg motor models, and that the 1972-1974's were called Supersport. That's what was on the chrome tool box covers on my two USA bikes, but perhaps the name was different for different markets.

It could be an Italian thing on the tank badges as well, as I've said I've seen both, but both of mine had white vinyl.

I got really lucky on one of my seats- I found a brand new one on eBay a few years ago and bid with abandon to win. No regrets as I've never seen another available, but if you find a source for reproductions please let us know as I could use one for my other 250.

I think these bikes are little jewels, and under valued compared to Ducati singles of the era. Just look at the lines and proportions, the way the motor is cantilevered off the pressed sheet frame. The fuel tank alone is gorgeous in it's shape and design. Much more style and more modern looking overall than the Aermacchi horizontal pushrod singles, in my opinion.
    Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited by sandman; 08-19-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Member #
    Hi Sandman,

You could be right about the terminology unless the versions they sent to the US were called Supersports?

But yes they are under valued like the Moto Morini sadly, they are a lovely bike.

I look forward to getting her home hopefully next week and then starting the work. The seat is possibly the only issue so far, so I might have to organise someone to make a copy. The tank decals in the black are the other item that is hard to track so I may have to make a stencil and get them painted on. The taillight is an interesting issue as I have seen a few different varieties from the early round version to the later cev 5310 version.

Anyway the joy will be getting her back looking nice and riding her.

Cheers

Brett

egg motor fan
    Member #
    Brett:
    Both round and later rectangular CEV tail lights are correct, and if yours is round it's an earlier model for sure. My 1973 and 1974 both came with the later CEV 9350 that was used on many Ducatis and Laverdas. No reason you can't change tail lights, tank badge styles, etc. to what suits you.

You'll also soon find that information on these models is thin. One simple thing has been helpful for me: I just Google Image searched Benelli 250 Supersport, and went from there. There are a few there, and you'll get some good links. As far as cafe racer customs, Mr. Townsend's gorgeous orange bike is as good as it gets. This is a clickable huge image that shows great detail for reference:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rt_Special.jpg

This is the graphic on my 1973 fuel tank- I believe it to be original paint as well- vinyl was not clear coated.
    New owner 1973 Benelli 250 special sport-img_7006.jpg
    Last edited by sandman; 08-20-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Member #
    Yes that is great photo of a lovely bike!

Trying to locate info is hard, in particular specific manuals and specifications, not sure how many of these models were made.

That now explains why I am seeing different taillight versions.....mine has a bogus aftermarket one which I am wanting to put back to original. I was trying to work out whether it was the cev 9350 or cev 3214 version. My Morini has the cev 5310 so I might go with the same if that's what the used in 1973.

Member #
    Well an update, the bike has been stripped down, the motor is on the bench awaiting a clean and polish, mechanically she appears good.

The frame, swing arm, centre stand, foot pegs, tank, chain guard and toolboxes are at the painters awaiting a blast and repaint. Today I dropped the rims, handlebars, shock springs, and numerous other items off to the chrome plater.

so hopefully when I get back from holidays at the end of October I can start rebuilding.

egg motor fan
    Member #
    Very good! Regarding re-chroming the rims: you're luckier than me with the existing condition. All four Sanremos on both of my examples were too corroded to replate, and were quite nasty inside- much worse than the exterior due to moisture being trapped along tire bead surfaces. Replacement flanged alloys are a beautiful period correct upgrade, and cost the same as re-plating the stock steels, an easy decision for me.

What methods are you planning to use to clean the engine?
    Last edited by sandman; 08-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Welcome Bret. Funny seeing this we were only talking about this bike this morning. A guy a work had one as his first bike a long while back....remembered mixing the oil in the tank for one. Good luck with the work...look forward to pictures of progress.
    A nice pair of nellies

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Einstein.

A bit like a Z25 then.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsors