Anyone had parts re-chromed
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone had parts re-chromed

Member #

Anyone had parts re-chromed

Ok starting to plan the refurb/restoration of my 2C. Been looking at the bright work and a lot of it isn't too bad and I think it might re-chrome quite well.
    Has anybody tried getting Benelli parts re-chromed and what have the results been like.
    Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey125 View Post
    and what have the results been like
    Hi Smokey125,
    With my bike restoration I decided that every part that is chromed I want them chromed again and even more parts, such a drive chain guard and I guess it will pay off when the bike is finished.Every bit that shines will give life and beauty to the bike that I will ride on later on.Also it is sure protection against the rust. Better quality means higher price for the job and one needs to find chroming business that can be trusted. Some other parts that can not be chromed or are hidden behind side covers I will get them zinc plated and that will be good enough for me. It often happen that new chromed parts are NOS parts and I also need to re-chrome them for example new exhaust pipe with area of chrome flake piling.
    Cheers
    Jerzy

Member #
    Thanks for the reply.
    Problem seems to be finding someone good. I've seen some other peoples parts that have been done badly or were too far gone to restore but the platers have still tried! I'd rather be told that something's not worth doing than have to argue after the event!
    I'd rather replace or make new parts to get a good job in the end.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi,

I have to agree with Jerzy - if you are doing a restoration then the chrome is one of the most important elements. I haven't had too many problems with platers - most will be pretty candid about what they can recover and what they can't. With my 2Cs I've found that the silencers are almost always worth chroming and most platers will take the effort to polish around the Silentium logos. The only problems we've had is the flanged San Remo rims which have on occasion been rusted on the inside. On my orange bike I replaced them with alloy rims from Central Wheel and this was cheaper than rechroming. They are quite similar in appearance to the original flanged steel.

As Jerzy says, the non-chrome fitments and fasteners can be zinc plated and come up looking like new. I do mine quite successfully with a home zinc plating kit.

All the best with the restoration.

Cheers,

Tony

Member #
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's good to know you can get good results.
    I have read somewhere else that the rims can be problematic I was going to replace with stainless steel if there not serviceable. I'd not thought of even trying to re-chrome the exhaust will have to have a look at that.
    I guess the thing is to find a good platers but I've seen parts a friend and my father in-law have had done at different place and there has been a fair amount that is less than acceptable!

Member #
    Hi Guys,

I have been using a chap in Coffs Harbour, he has been good, I just dropped a heap of parts off with him on Saturday, including was my Sanremo rims which he believes he can get them back up looking good with the logo.

My handlebars, toolbox covers fork boot trims, triple tree nut, fender trim pieces, clutch and brake lever mounts, speedo and tacho mounts, fuel tank trims, brake lever, gear lever, kickstart lever, the Marzocchi springs. So I guess a few parts to be done, the muffler, header pipe I have ordered new from Italy, so will be interesting to see how their chrome is when it arrives.

I have dropped the frame, tank, toolboxes and chain guard off to be painted. Going for the original Coral Red.

I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carby yesterday. I have been polishing the alloy hubs, motor covers, fenders, headlight mounts and they have come up pretty good.

cheers

Brett

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi Brett,

Just watch those rims - we had one set which literally split in two. I was riding directly behind my mate when the right hand flange of his rear San Remo separated from the rest of the rim! It looked perfect on the outside but the inside of the flange had rusted through.

I bought new tank and seat trims from Super Cheap Auto. They are available in strips about a metre long for the edge of car doors. The only issue I've had is with supposed adhesive on them so I used some Liquid Nails. Don't think they'll ever come off now!

Are you painting the frame red?

Cheers,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have been using a chap in Coffs Harbour, he has been good, I just dropped a heap of parts off with him on Saturday, including was my Sanremo rims which he believes he can get them back up looking good with the logo.

My handlebars, toolbox covers fork boot trims, triple tree nut, fender trim pieces, clutch and brake lever mounts, speedo and tacho mounts, fuel tank trims, brake lever, gear lever, kickstart lever, the Marzocchi springs. So I guess a few parts to be done, the muffler, header pipe I have ordered new from Italy, so will be interesting to see how their chrome is when it arrives.

I have dropped the frame, tank, toolboxes and chain guard off to be painted. Going for the original Coral Red.

I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carby yesterday. I have been polishing the alloy hubs, motor covers, fenders, headlight mounts and they have come up pretty good.

cheers

Brett

Member #
    Hi Tony,

Yes, I was looking at them pretty carefully but once stripped the chroming chap will let me know, but they weren't too badly rusted, predominately minor surface.

The tank strips on the Special Sport are a little different almost like the meccano metal straps.

I sent an email to the chap at Eldorado Seat Restorations in South Australia about do the seat up, do you know anyone that has done a Special Sport seat?

Cheers

Brett

Member #
    Hi Tony,

Sorry the tank I am doing gloss black as per original, the only difference will be the gauge pod holders that I am chroming instead of painting black.

Cheers

Brett

Sponsors