2c swing arm pivot
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2c swing arm pivot

Member #

2c swing arm pivot

Hi,

I'm new to Benelli ownership. I have a 1981 250 2c in need of full restoration, My previous experience of 2 strokes is all japanese so I'm struggling a bit. My main problem at the minute is the strange swing arm pivot nut..can you get a tool to fit or do I need to make one? why isn't it just a hexagonal nut? or am I missing the point.

Name
    pip davidson
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bill smith View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to Benelli ownership. I have a 1981 250 2c in need of full restoration, My previous experience of 2 strokes is all japanese so I'm struggling a bit. My main problem at the minute is the strange swing arm pivot nut..can you get a tool to fit or do I need to make one? why isn't it just a hexagonal nut? or am I missing the point.
    check out this site, flick through restoration it shows how he made a special tool for what you need

i believe he is a forum member as well

some great knowledge in the classic forum here, so i am sure one will be along soon to help

congrats on your buy, and welcome

Link:
    Benelli 2C Restoration

Member #
    Thanks for that. Might be time to spark up the dremel then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi Bill,

It is my restoration blog with the details of the "special tool". Just a tip - I made another for a mate a couple of weeks ago and I found that an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade does all the hard work. You can finish off with the dremel. It goes without saying that you need to cover up and wear a face mask - the steel is brittle.

The good news is that the original nuts are nylocs so they actually come off pretty easily. There is another nut of the same design elsewhere on the bike (in the engine) but is slightly smaller.

The 2C is a fabulous little bike without many inherent problems. My mates and I have restored five and once the electrics are sorted they are very reliable. If you are doing a full engine rebuild the outer crankshaft bearings need to be Loctited into place. One of the NZ racing fellows warned me of this and we've had one bike drift its LHS bearing outwards causing all sorts of havoc! Loctite bearing mount.

Any other queries just throw them at the forum here - plenty of experience and always a guaranteed answer.

Cheers,

Tony

Sponsors