Just bought a 1977 250 2c
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just bought a 1977 250 2c

Name
    Dan N.
    Member #

Just bought a 1977 250 2c

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, new to Benelli, and new to restorations.

i recently purchased a 1977 250 2c that hasn't ran in 22 years. The previous owner told me that last time he rode it the chain snapped and got stuck in the engine case, and he hasn't touched it since. I removed the side cover and the story seems legit. Small piece of chain inside, sprocket still decent, but the clutch control lever was also broken (the part that the clutch cable is attached to) with the clutch cable missing. Also, the headlight, tail light and turn signals are broken, but other than that it's in decent condition for something that's been sitting in a shed for 22 years.

I've started taking it apart and noticed the nightmare that is the wiring. So I've decided I'm going to do a full 12 volt conversion and replacing every single electrical bit on the bike. I've taken apart most of the bike and am in the process of preparing it for sandblasting and painting. I haven't had a look inside the engine yet, but I'm sure I'll find some kind of surprise when I do.

If anyone has some tips or suggestions, feel free to share them here. I can use all the help I can get
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 1977 250 2c-image.jpg   Just bought a 1977 250 2c-image.jpg  

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Hi and welcome, hope you have fun restoring the bike, i have a 250-2c and although i don't ride it much i find its great fun.

Member #
    Looks to be all there.I just bought one too recently. Will follow your 12v conversion closely

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnach View Post
    I haven't had a look inside the engine yet, but I'm sure I'll find some kind of surprise when I do.
    Have fun with this project. A lot of parts you can order at Benelli-Bauer in Germany. But I suggest to check the engine first like to turn the crank for example an d other test to avoid spending money in sandblast if there is there risk to have no egnine at the end (hopfully not ).

Name
    Dan N.
    Member #
    I've found a few parts on ebay and other sites, but it's hard to get stuff shipped to canada. I've been busy with work too so I haven't been able to make a proper list of parts I need. I'll definitely check out benelli-bauer.
    I have a good feeling about the engine. Seems to turn freely with plenty of compression.
    As for the electrical, I'll probably just buy a generic chopper harness and totally replace everything. This project is being done on the side, so it'll probably take a year or two to complete. I'll post some pics once in a while though and I'll definitely be coming here for help.

Name
    ian scott
    Member #
    Great bike you got there Mate Keep with it, Ture Classic

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your bike. The 2C is a great little machine with easy spares availability, a really peaky motor and fantastic handling. The electrics are woeful!

My mates and I have restored five of these and you can follow the restoration blogs for two of them at the following link:

Benelli 2C Restoration

The 2C has a well-deserved reputation for throwing chains. Watch out for a couple of things. If you have the "one sided" chain adjusters throw them away and buy some Moto Guzzi TS double sided adjusters off ebay. The single sided version allows the rear wheel to move out of alignment and the chain comes off. Secondly, check the chain tension off the stand with someone sitting on the bike. There's a fair bit of movement in the shocks and chains tensioned without a seated load will be loose enough to come off. Take care with these two things and you won't have a problem. Most 2Cs show some damage from chains escaping! Usual symptoms are damage inside the chaincase near the sprocket, torn off chainguards and rear hub damage. Nothing terminal but a good warning.

The electrics are very poor but the existing 6V system works well if you replace the regulator in the headlamp shell with a solid state regulator rectifier. This involves a bit of fiddling around (unsoldering and isolating the leads from the lighting coil) but results in more than adequate electrics for a very small cost. Switchgear is likewise pretty dodgy. If you are not going concours then consider some Japanese alternatives - I used YB100 switchgear.

Any other problems just post them up here - we are always happy to help.

Cheers,

Tony
    South Australia

Name
    Dan N.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bantam1949 View Post
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your bike. The 2C is a great little machine with easy spares availability, a really peaky motor and fantastic handling. The electrics are woeful!

My mates and I have restored five of these and you can follow the restoration blogs for two of them at the following link:

Benelli 2C Restoration

The 2C has a well-deserved reputation for throwing chains. Watch out for a couple of things. If you have the "one sided" chain adjusters throw them away and buy some Moto Guzzi TS double sided adjusters off ebay. The single sided version allows the rear wheel to move out of alignment and the chain comes off. Secondly, check the chain tension off the stand with someone sitting on the bike. There's a fair bit of movement in the shocks and chains tensioned without a seated load will be loose enough to come off. Take care with these two things and you won't have a problem. Most 2Cs show some damage from chains escaping! Usual symptoms are damage inside the chaincase near the sprocket, torn off chainguards and rear hub damage. Nothing terminal but a good warning.

The electrics are very poor but the existing 6V system works well if you replace the regulator in the headlamp shell with a solid state regulator rectifier. This involves a bit of fiddling around (unsoldering and isolating the leads from the lighting coil) but results in more than adequate electrics for a very small cost. Switchgear is likewise pretty dodgy. If you are not going concours then consider some Japanese alternatives - I used YB100 switchgear.

Any other problems just post them up here - we are always happy to help.

Cheers,

Tony
    South Australia

Thanks for for the input. I actually came across your blog while searching for literature on the bike a few weeks ago. Definitely a lot of useful info!
    The chain tensioners on mine are the double sided ones, so I don't think I'll have too many problems. As for the electrics, I ordered this kit: https://www.powerdynamo.de/shop/show...2kgn92qut0n3nh
    And I will be replacing every single wire and switch. As I mentioned before, I will most likely just buy a kit made for custom bikes, as they seem to be more readily available. I'm sure I'll have a few questions in the coming weeks, I'll just bother the members of this board every time I get stuck!

Sponsors