Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project

Hi folks,

I have been given
    a 1975 Benelli 500 Quattro (with drum brakes) as a basket case. It appears to be nearly complete but was disassembled about 15 years ago after only having done about 8,000km.

This is my first reno of a motorbike so I will be looking for some assistance I am sure. I think one of the big problems will be the fact I haven't actually seen it assembled! Anyway, I have copies of the parts catalogue and the workshop manual.

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-image00001.jpg

Above is a photo of the new project as it arrived. The engine was badly corroded with plenty of aluminium oxide all over it. I have since cleaned it but not sure if I need to coat it with anything to stop the process from happening again.

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-image00005.jpg

The first job was to separate out all of the parts into numbered boxes and tick off what I have in the parts catalogue. Since then I have started searching down via the internet the main parts that are missing, damaged or have perished and have commenced rebuilding the engine.

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-image00002.jpg

Question Time:

I am not sure whether the seals at the ends of the crankshaft have a locating flange or whether they are just standard seals. I cant see what is stopping them from slipping out of position.

The catalogue is suitably vague on this providing only the following:

Item No / Code No. / Catalogue Description / (My estimate of seal size)
    5 / 288.053.0.799 / Right Seal Ring / (47.20.7)
    6 / 288.052.0.799 / Left Seal Ring / (47.30.7)

Below are a couple of photos of the locations for the seals (pen points to the spot).

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-benelli-crank-seal-5.jpg
    1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-benelli-crank-seal-6.jpg

·My first question is whether these seals have a locating flange on them which has a diameter of 51mm as there appears to be a slot beside the seal for one (or this could just be a groove for oil to circulate in). Unfortunately the original seals are missing and the illustration in the parts catalogue is unclear.

·My second question is does Item No. 5 have an internal bevel to fit over Part No. 4 / 288.037.0.799 / Rubber Block (which luckily I have).

Any assistance with the above would be greatly appreciated.

I shall continue to update this thread as the project progresses.

Cheers,

Carl

Brisbane, Australia

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Nice bike to restore the parts you need are available from Benellipartsde or Benelli Bauer in Germany look them up on the internet. Not sure about suppliers in your neck of the woods obviously bearings and seals have number on them that give there size but. As the seals are missing this does not help.
    Welcome to the world of Benelli.
    500 Quattro likes this.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Some people get all the luck.......all I get given is abuse Good luck with the rebuild look forward to hearing/seeing the progress.

Very nice bike
    A nice pair of nellies

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Einstein.

A bit like a Z25 then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 500 Quattro View Post

I am not sure whether the seals at the ends of the crankshaft have a locating flange or whether they are just standard seals. I cant see what is stopping them from slipping out of position.

Carl

Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Carl and good luck with your Benelli project.
    My way of thinking about the crankshaft seals is such that there are no pressure accumulating inside crankshaft cases causing to push the seals out.There is pressure valve located behind the cylinders so no gases will push crankshaft seals.Once pressed firmly the seals stay in there and do the job.
    Cheers
    Jerzy

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick0705 View Post
    Some people get all the luck.......all I get given is abuse Good luck with the rebuild look forward to hearing/seeing the progress.

Very nice bike
    Hi Rick,

Thanks mate.

Yeah, typically I am only given colds

It was my Dad that gave me the bike. I actually think it was just because my Mom wanted him to clean up the garage

Cheers,

Carl

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 500 Quattro View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Benelli crank seal 6.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	7978

Carl
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi Carl,
    Received email from Enrique and he says that the crankshaft seals are of standard kind and available at any shops that deals with seals and of course they must be of the right size.
    Cheers
    Jerzy

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Carl,
    I know it is about 6 months since anybody updated this thread, and no doubt you have been confined to your shed during the famously harsh Brisbane winter, but, I have just opened the cases of my 654 and I can answer your question. Of course you may be way beyond this in your restoration, but some confirmation never goes amiss, and this may also be of help to others.

"My first question is whether these seals have a locating flange on them which has a diameter of 51mm as there appears to be a slot beside the seal for one (or this could just be a groove for oil to circulate in). Unfortunately the original seals are missing and the illustration in the parts catalogue is unclear. "

As you say, the slot is for oil to circulate and there is definitely nothing to hold the seals in. Mine were stuck fast in the lower crankcase, so I doubt they will simply pop out in normal use.
    The dimensions on the seals are 28 x 47 x 8.5 for the generator side, and 30 x 47 x 8.5 on the points side. Looks like you need new shell bearings for your crank too.

This picture is a little over-exposed but it should clarify how the seal sits between the crankshaft and crankcase.

1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-crankshaft-oil-seal.jpg

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    1975 Benelli 500 Quattro restoration project-img_6694.jpg
    The crankshaft seal fitted to Benelli 750 sei's engine.The mechanic used some kind of sealant to make sure of tight fit.
    Cheers
    Jerzy

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Hi Richard and Jerzy, thank you for the confirmation on the seals and photos, much appreciated.

My restoration has stalled due to work and other commitments ( I have been modifying a pair of brass 1920's headlamps off a Cadillac into lights for over my dining room table:-). Anyway in order to kick start things again I have decided to take a week off next week and get things moving. I have organised where to take parts for chrome plating, powder coating, spraypainting and wheel restoration.

I am in two minds at the moment, restore as per original or personalise it slightly as a cafe racer. I think after seeing your beautiful restoration Jerzy that I am leaning toward keeping it stock standard. The trouble is that the frame has been powder coated in silver rather than the original black. If I leave it silver I think it will look a bit odd with the front triangle of the tank which is black.

If I go back to the original black frame it will need to be sandblasted back and re-powder coated. All extra time and expense.

If I stay stock I will need to get the tank re-sprayed, in which case I am wondering if I should retain the orangey red or go with another colour but I don't know what range of colours Benelli used for their tanks on the Quattro. I have seen silver, red and black. Actually black might work in which case I could keep the frame silver...

If I go with a lightly modified cafe racer I would source a secondhand tank, possible a benelli mojave tank, in which case I could keep the frame in silver. I think this with some clip ons would make a nice bike. Any mods I do would have to be reversible of course.

Any thoughts as as to which way I should go gratefully received.
    Cheers,
    Carl

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Carl,
    I doubt that you will get your money back if you restore the bike to original condition. It's a real shame that Benellis are not held in the same regard as other contemporary Italians. But on the other hand that means that we can change them if we want without fear of any huge financial loss. You say you will keep any original parts that you take off, and that makes a load of sense. That way, if a future buyer wants to make it original again he ( or she ) will have a good basis for their project.
    For instance; if you choose to fit clip-ons and rear-sets don't grind off the original mounts. But I guess that's exactly what you're talking about.
    If I were you, I would build a caff racer. Have some fun. And if you can find an exhaust with four silencers, it would look really great. I know it's been done before, but not often, and certainly more unusual than most other bikes around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors