250-2c light switch
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 250-2c light switch

Name
    ron daly
    Member #

250-2c light switch

Hi all, i have a problem with the light switch on my Motobi 250-2c, when i switch to side lights the lights don't come on, they used to come on now and again but have now stopped working alltogether, the main lights usually come on when you switch to main lights. i would like to know if anyone knows how to remove the switch from the handlebars as i have been told they are no longer available. thanks in anticipation. ron d

Member #
    Your handlebar switch (made by either Aprilia or CEV?) is still available (I can refer you to a couple of sources if you find you need one) but you will have to pay quite a bit for one. The switch is removed by removing the two screws in the top. But I would refer to your wiring diagram first and confirm that everything is good there (continuity) and also make sure your light bulbs are not burnt out. Is the bike charging your battery properly? Do you have a separate turn signal switch?

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi,

Alan has covered most of the possibles in his reply. I would only add that the Aprilia switchgear is only just adequate. Having subjected it to some regular use on our bikes my mates and I have changed over a few of the units to Yamaha YB100 switchgear (which looks okay when you polish the alloy).

As Alan mentioned, check all the bulbs (including the dash bulbs) and consider doing a rewire. It's really not that hard and it gives you the opportunity to install a solid state regulator rectifier.

Cheers,

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    if your bike is a 1980 250 2c it might have moto guzzi type black plastic switch gear with the wiring threaded through the handle bar. If it is this type try getting hold of some contact cleaner spray [not wd 40] as this can clean the switch without taking it to bits|

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Hi and thanks for the replies. My switch is a black plastic one where the wires go through the handlebars, i have tried cleaning with electric cleaner to no avail, i am rather poor at electrics and tried getting a wiring harness but was told the are NLA. I am checking that the battery is being charged, it does have a seperate turn signal switch. Will keep everone posted when i next get a chance to look at it,

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Many years ago i did take one of these switches apart and managed to reset the contacts. you need to unplug the switch from the loom then remove the handlebar grip unsecure the switch and ease it along the handle bar feeding the cable into the handlebar at the connector end. when it comes off the bar you should be able to take it apart. hope this helps good luck

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Thanks for that, i will give it a go when i get a chance.

Name
    ian scott
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bantam1949 View Post
    Hi,

Alan has covered most of the possibles in his reply. I would only add that the Aprilia switchgear is only just adequate. Having subjected it to some regular use on our bikes my mates and I have changed over a few of the units to Yamaha YB100 switchgear (which looks okay when you polish the alloy).

As Alan mentioned, check all the bulbs (including the dash bulbs) and consider doing a rewire. It's really not that hard and it gives you the opportunity to install a solid state regulator rectifier.

Cheers,

Tony
    would you have any pics with the YB switchgear fitted, Cheers ian

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi,

I've attached a photo of the Yamaha YB100 switchgear on my Benelli 2C. Please resist the obvious comments about the anodised orange handgrips - it was a moment of madness! I am planning to fill the two mirror bolt holes with stainless cup-head allen bolts which should finish it nicely. I tried using Yamaha mirrors but reverted to bar-ends.

When I was searching through the motorcycle wreckers (breakers) out here I found the YB100 did the job well. The Honda CT90-CT110 are also interesting because some have a choke cable on the underside of the switchgear. In the end I converted my Del'Ortos to manual choke levers (they just fit in the same place as the cable) and one lever - the outside lever - is enough to start the bike up.

The YB switchgear is also in raw alloy which means it can be polished easily and looks "period correct". There is plenty of other black Honda and Yamaha switchgear which is alloy with black paint over the top. Nice alloy underneath if you bead blast the paint off.

Hope this helps,

Tony.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    ian scott
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bantam1949 View Post
    Hi,

I've attached a photo of the Yamaha YB100 switchgear on my Benelli 2C. Please resist the obvious comments about the anodised orange handgrips - it was a moment of madness! I am planning to fill the two mirror bolt holes with stainless cup-head allen bolts which should finish it nicely. I tried using Yamaha mirrors but reverted to bar-ends.

When I was searching through the motorcycle wreckers (breakers) out here I found the YB100 did the job well. The Honda CT90-CT110 are also interesting because some have a choke cable on the underside of the switchgear. In the end I converted my Del'Ortos to manual choke levers (they just fit in the same place as the cable) and one lever - the outside lever - is enough to start the bike up.

The YB switchgear is also in raw alloy which means it can be polished easily and looks "period correct". There is plenty of other black Honda and Yamaha switchgear which is alloy with black paint over the top. Nice alloy underneath if you bead blast the paint off.

Hope this helps,

Tony.
    Many thanks Tony, Have ordered a set, Cheers Ian

Sponsors