2C Gearbox help
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2C Gearbox help

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #

2C Gearbox help

Help, I have just got the 2C running for its first run and I seem to have either 2nd or 3rd gear and some other higher gear in between a couple of neutrals.
    I am happy to strip the motor down and investigate but just wanted to check with you folks in case there is a tip about a wrongly located selector plate etc. first.

Many thanks

Russ

Name
    chris
    Member #
    hi russ,

check the gear lever is free to move all its stroke up & down without fowling a silencer & tat the shaft is pulled all the way to the left as there is a circlip on the shaft where it exits the box, if the clip slips the shaft moves to the right & doesnt engage the spring or the prongs correctly. to check remove clutch cover to see.

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #
    Hi
    Thanks for the nod, I made the gear pedal and I made sure about it not touching or failing anything however the circlip tip I have not looked at.
    I will pull off the cover and have a good nose around it will be great if its that simple as I really enjoyed running it all be only in third ish gear, I was amazed that a little 2 stroke with a fat bloke had any pull in a highish gear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Tony
    Member #
    Hi,

There are three possibilities that generally lead to the symptoms you've described;

(1) The gear cluster has been assembled incorrectly. Have done it myself. Need to split the engine and start again. I have plenty of photos if you need shots of the correct layout.

(2)) The gear cluster is assembled correctly (or incorrectly) but the selectors on the clutch side were not in the right place. Really need to split the engine and check and relocate.

(3) The roll pin in the selector shaft has sheared. The selector shaft can be removed (see previous post about circlip) and this can be checked. Sheared pins result in no gears, one gear or some gears.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Tony

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #
    Hi Tony
    Thanks for the information, I have resided to the fact that I will have to strip the engine so yes please I would love to see the photos, at least its a horizontal split case job and everything should stay nicely in place during assembly. I have nearly had to visit the funny farm in the past when trying to put gearbox clusters back into place on vertical split cases.

Russ

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #

Found problem

Hi folks help needed I have stripped the gearbox and found the problem, does anybody have a forth gear main shaft selector.
    Its the middle fork on the shaft mine has dropped a arm.
    I am willing to prise open my rarely seen wallet and reluctantly part with some earth pounds.

I will get to IOM I am sure of that !!!

Name
    chris
    Member #
    Russ, I have 2 on my bench as we speak, the early bronze type, any use? let me know, I'm in Northampton

Name
    chris
    Member #
    Just looked at selectors, late steel ones are a mirror image of early bronze ones, however the centre one is almost symetrical so I reckon will be ok in either case.

Name
    chris
    Member #
    Russ, PM'd you

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #
    Thanks for checking for me, so I am still in the market for a steel gear selector if anybody can help.

Russ

Sponsors