Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 654 Barn find

Name
    Richard
    Member #

Cool 654 Barn find

Hello All,
    I have just acquired a 654 which has been off the road since 1985. It appears to be complete but the engine is in about 100 pieces. It was dismantled because it dropped a valve which then made a hole in a piston. But hey, it was a very good price, and I have always liked Benellis.
    I'm very keen to get this one back to its former glory, and I'm hoping that it doesn't need any unobtainable parts.
    klinkerstinker and tomr10 like this.

Name
    Shane
    Member #

Come on Richard.

Lets be having some rusty dusty pictures for Mr. Klink then.

“No, no, no.
    There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful.”

Jeremy Clarkson

Name
    Jerzy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Hello All,
    I have just acquired a 654 which has been off the road since 1985.
    Hi Richard,
    Glad to hear about your purchase and I am sure the bike will bring some more shine to your life interest wise.
    Welcome to the Benelli Family,
    Cheers
    Jerzy

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    graeme bland
    Member #
    welcome to the forum Richard

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi Richard, You just can pop up on here with half the story, where's the before picture. And don't worry about boring us to death with a bolt by bolt picture story of the restoration. We love that sort of thing.

welcome and nice find
    klinkerstinker likes this.
    A nice pair of nellies

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Einstein.

A bit like a Z25 then.

Name
    Shane
    Member #

I reckon he's not coming back.

I've had my crystal testical out.

I've forseen......................he's already paid £2300 pounds for it, going to spend another £2000 getting running rough, then sell it for scrap and buy a Trumpet.

Oh crap..........that was me. Kick me in the crystals someone for doing it.

“No, no, no.
    There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful.”

Jeremy Clarkson

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    No, I haven't run away, but I have been busy taking stock of what I have taken on, and making a list of what I will need to buy. The bike apears to be pretty much complete, with the top half of the engine in boxes. The silencers are completely shot, so I'll need a pair of those. As I said above, one valve dropped into the combustion chamber and buried itself in the piston, so I'll need to find those too. I will probably get a whole set of valves, and I'm hoping somebody on this forum can tell me where I can find them.

The carbs were sitting on what was left of the engine, but still attached to the throttle. The previous owner pulled them off the airbox woithout first undoing the clips that hold them on. This means that all four of the rubbers that connect the carbs to the airbox are torn to bits. I'm sure they will make an interesting treasure hunt. Again, if anybody can point me at a supplier, I'd be very grateful.

Some pictures. I thought you might like to see the insides of my carbs. They had been sitting for nearly 30 years, and some still had petrol in the float bowls. I had heard that carbs can get gummed up if left, but this is ridiculous. The insides are full of a nasty sticky mess which is a cross between mud and paint. Completely lacquered !! I can feel a trip to an ultra sound cleaner coming on. I've never tried that before, but I have seen pictures, and it looks like it should work. Again, if you have any opinions on this, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 654 Barn find-big-job.jpg   654 Barn find-mucky-carbs.jpg  
    klinkerstinker and GeorgeE111 like this.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    nice one richard,it will all be worth it !

Member #
    Get a piece of paper and make a "to do" list. This list will grow of course
    but as long as you keep moving forward you will eventually get there.
    Be patient, persistent, and keep reminding yourself that this is fun! A journey of
    a million miles begins with a single step...

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    A small update ( you asked for it ). This week I have been trying to assess what needs to be done. Some things are obvious. Both of the Silentium sincers are completelty rotten. The good news is that the part numbers can still be read on what remains, but the bad news is that a search on the internet has brought up no hits on these silencers.
    I bought an ultra sonic cleaner to clean the carbs. This had limited success. It got the worst of the gummy lacquer off the body of the carbs but the jets are still blocked. That's not a problem as I expected that I would need new jets, and these are easily available.

The big issue is the cylinder head and I had good news with that. I took it to a friend of mine who restores old cars. He assures me that the damage to the cylinder head is repairable. Somehow, when the head broke off the stem of the valve, it put all of its energy into burying itself in the piston. I took a couple of pictures of the damaged piston, but they aren't clear. I'll try again. I think you will be amused.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsors