654..buy or no...???
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 654..buy or no...???

Theres always 1.. i'm him Ben Nelly's Avatar
    Name
    Yer man.!!
    Member #

654..buy or no...???

Came across a guy selling a 654 today..says its all there but its rough as a badger...turns over too.....are parts hard to come by ?......i'm thinking cafe racer, having just finished the Z650...how much is it worth ...i'll get some pix up tomorrow when i see the bike...
    Tornado ,GSXR 750, Z650 Cafe racer,TDR 250 project, doggy, wife, 2 hot rods....that order.

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    The 654 is a good bike with similar performance to the z650 the parts are available from Selwyn motorcycles in Cambridge and in Germany from Benelli Bauer and Benelli De. Most Benelli frames,wheels and controls are universal with other models. Can't wait to see pictures.

Name
    Yer man.!!
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by R Powell View Post
    The 654 is a good bike with similar performance to the z650 the parts are available from Selwyn motorcycles in Cambridge and in Germany from Benelli Bauer and Benelli De. Most Benelli frames,wheels and controls are universal with other models. Can't wait to see pictures.

Tanx mate...any idea what its worth at the moment..i'm clueless...

Heres a pic of the Zed in case you havent seen it on the general forum...i was on the look-out for another Z but i'd prefer the 654 so i'd have an old and new Nelly.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ben Nelly; 08-30-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Tornado ,GSXR 750, Z650 Cafe racer,TDR 250 project, doggy, wife, 2 hot rods....that order.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Ben,
    I can confirm that parts are generally available for the 654. Either from Selwyn in England or Bauer in Germany. I bought a broken bike a couple of months ago and so far I've been able to buy everything I need. The only exception is original silencers, but if you're building a caff racer I don't suppose you care about originality.

As for price, it's very hard to say. Benellis don't fetch high prices like other old Italians, and they are few and far between. If your one is rough but running then I would think £2,000 would be fair, but hard to say without seeing it.

Name
    Yer man.!!
    Member #
    Tanx Richard..the most thing i'd be worried about is engine parts..are they available if i need them,??? noticed the carbs are there but not fitted...the pipes are there too but looks like surface rust...
    The poor bike was the first in a line of bikes leaning up against a shed (next a cagiva 125, 2 CBX 750''s ,, 600 Hornet and a GPZ 1000) so i couldnt get to really have a good look...i'll drop up to him again next week...i'm hoping to also get an XS500 Yam (the nice one) and another Z650 that he has.....i offered him a €1000 (£800) for the three bikes, which he agreed but he needs to check with his brother.........the Yam is in good nick and the Z should be a doddle....

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Jeez. A thousand Euros for those three bikes sounds like a steal. Hope you get them, and it will be good to see just what state they're in.
    Like I said, I have had no problems buying anything I have needed so far. However, I mentioned Bauer when I should have said Detlef Burian. Don't know what brought that on. Must have been drinking. Anyway Detlef's website is all in German but easy to navigate. You select the 654 and then work through the drop down menus to get exploded diagrams of the engine, frame etc.
    One of the things I needed was the rubbers that join the carbs to the airbox as mine were all split. I thought these would be obscure as they must be only for this model, but he had new ones in stock and I received them in a few days.
    Selwyn is very good too. A complete Benelli fanatic and knows the bikes inside out. Also with the added advantage of speaking English.

Name
    Yer man.!!
    Member #
    All sounds good Richard...i'll let you know the state of play during the week...

Tanx for the help..

Member #
    XS 500 that brings back memories, my bro had 78 model one for several years as his first "proper" bike.

It was only five years old but already needed extensive electrical work and the cams had knackered the head .
    From memory its claim to fame was that it was the first jap bike with a 4 valve head, together with its cast wheels it looked good, in a very seventies way.
    Not fast but very heavy with one single, sliding caliper from disc ..........certainly life affirming stuff!

Hope the deal works out for youi.

Sponsors