Tornado 650 s2 - Page 2
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tornado 650 s2

Member #
    Check out www.dellorto.co.uk/ for new needles or any other parts for your carbs.

A Tornado has 2 cylinders jmaillard's Avatar
    Name
    John Maillard
    Member #

Latest test with 100 proof

Ok so I put some 100 proof good quality stuff in the tank, and went for a test ride, very nice brown plugs, but progressively worse performance as it got warmer, hesitation pulling and
    no power as I opened the throttle, I have new coils, would capacitors do this?
    Waiting for the new jets, but no needles available.
    R Powell likes this.

Member #
    Hi John,
    I have a 1974 Tornado, your problem sounds like the main jets are too big, also replace your needles.

Basically the Dellorto run in three stages, when idling the mixture screw controls this process, mid range is controlled by the needle, then full throttle is your main jet.

If the bike has been sitting for awhile then replace the needle, main jet and idle jet, they do corrode over time.

Good luck.

Brett

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    John Maillard
    Member #

Update on the 650s

Latest news on my 650S2, I rebuilt the Carbs, but could not find new needles, fitted new oil seals.Took the bike to a bike mechanic who knows how to tune carbs and he timed and fettled the bike.
    The bike has very badly worn contacts and needs new capacitors. So I have ordered electronic ignition rather then replace the contact breakers.
    The bike is running a little better and is smoother, but the contacts are really shot.
    Next new front fork tubes and seals.

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsystem/index.php?cat=c7_Benelli-Digital-Ignition-Systems-for-Benelli.html

Name
    John Maillard
    Member #

New Update on the Benelli 650s2 Tornado

Electronic ignition went in with some trouble as the instructions downloaded from the company were for a different system????
    After a bit of head scratching we got it working well, good system has 5 different settings, I have mine set to old fart setting. Bike purs like a cat, running well apart from a reduced flat spot on open throttle. I am putting that down to a worn needle V11 that is
    unobtainable, might go for the V10 as suggested and try a different notch.

Had my twin seat recovered, so the single seat is off to get recovered. Next front fork tubes, new ignition switch and rubber bits and straps and new cables, sprockets. Speedo to be restored soon, I have a bicycle speedo for accurate measurement, the original is variable, which has great extra bits on it. Finally after I am happy with the running and handling a paint job, I have the original smoked fairing that will go on last. The colour is per my Avatar, the paint job was hand applied by previous owner looks ok but as the rest of the bike gets better the paint looks worse and worse.

Thanks for all the help and tips keep them coming.

Member #
    Hi John,
    Interesting your comments on the electronic ignition, I have been considering doing that with mine although presently she runs and starts well. I have a Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport that is having one installed so it will good to see how she runs with.

I looked at their installation document on the website, is it any different to one they sent you?

Did you use the original coils or order their Dyna coils? Just be interested to see what is the better option.

What head scratching was involved that wasn't in their installation document?

Cheers

Brett

Name
    John Maillard
    Member #

Brett and Motor morini

Hi Brett

Nope just new coils from the shop. The instructions were for an optical system, mine was a magnetic lost spark type. It had benelli 650 stamped on it.
    Easy to set up once we know they were different. Set the bike to TDC, spin the disk till the led lights up, then advance the unit in tiny amounts till we had the best running.
    Took a bit of trial and error. The wiring was the same as the download. This may only be for the benelli, the morini might be different. well worth the money as the points have to come from italy and the Capacitors would be very dodgy.

Member #
    Hi John,

Optical system! Strange....I have been reading the downloads on the site regarding installation, trying to get my head around it....challenging but if I had it in my hands it would be a tad easier to grasp.

I thought it might be best to use the original coils considering where they are mounted.

The curve settings, 1-9, are they basically the different performance for the motor with acceleration etc? I would only be looking for mid range with the best fuel economy as the fuel tank isn't that big.

You wouldn't be using the electronic rev counter wire as they are mechanical I presume.

By the way what type of oil filter are you using? And where do you get them from?

Cheers

Brett

Name
    John Maillard
    Member #

Electronic ignition

Hi Brett my settings are 1 to 5 I will play with them when the whole bike is running perfectly.
    Yes I am not using the wire for the rev counter, thought the original rev counter doesn't really show until 2000 rpm.
    The oil filter is the same as a lot of british cars from the era, RYCO R2108P I get them from the Local car parts store.

Member #
    That's fantastic with the oil filter....I have been scratching my head!
    I just ordered an electronic ignition from them, so the fun begins.

Cheers

Brett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors