1965 Benelli Sprite - a few questions from a potential buyer
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1965 Benelli Sprite - a few questions from a potential buyer

Member #

1965 Benelli Sprite - a few questions from a potential buyer

I'm considering buying a non-running 1965 Benelli Sprite 200. It is complete, straight, rust free and original. The motor has compression and turns freely. While I have owned and worked on many motorcycles, I have never touched a Benelli (or any other Italian marque).

Before I get myself in over my head, I was wondering how easy it is to get parts and whether there is an accessible resource base to seek advice from for such an old bike.

Thank you... and warm regards from Canada.

Derek

Member #
    Parts are often available through owners clubs and ebay. These bike are becoming collectable in Italy now, so prices for parts are going up a bit. There are quite a lot of NOS parts around from the main USA dealer: Cosmopolitan Motors who went out of business a few years back. Some parts are rare as hen's teeth: gear levers, oil filters for example. Most of the electrics are CEV so easy to source. There is a good Motobi Facebook page which details an engine strip with good photo's.
    They are straightforward to work on and only require a few special tools, all of which are easy to make yourself. I have some spare parts that I sell from time to time: Pistons, cylinders, tank etc, but I expect the shipping from the UK would be rather high. Some on ebay now: seller name is nick3395
    Parts manuals and workshop book are available for free on the 'net.
    I'd say it's worth buying as they are fun to ride and easy to work on.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Parts are often available through owners clubs and ebay. These bike are becoming collectable in Italy now, so prices for parts are going up a bit. There are quite a lot of NOS parts around from the main USA dealer: Cosmopolitan Motors who went out of business a few years back. Some parts are rare as hen's teeth: gear levers, oil filters for example. Most of the electrics are CEV so easy to source. There is a good Motobi Facebook page which details an engine strip with good photo's.
    They are straightforward to work on and only require a few special tools, all of which are easy to make yourself. I have some spare parts that I sell from time to time: Pistons, cylinders, tank etc, but I expect the shipping from the UK would be rather high. Some on ebay now: seller name is nick3395
    Parts manuals and workshop book are available for free on the 'net.
    I'd say it's worth buying as they are fun to ride and easy to work on.
    Thank you, that helps quite a bit.

Derek

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Peter Radix
    Member #
    As Nick says, these bikes are a pleasure to work on, although some special tools are required to make life easier, these tools are easy to make at home with basic tools and machinery. Concerning the spares situation : Detlef Burian and Wilfied Blothe , the latter trading under the name Benelli Bauer in Germany will have some spares for your bike, but you will have to be aware that the spares situation is patchy. so it pays to keep an eye on fleabay, or their Italian equivalents named Kijiji and Subito.
    Shipping parts from Europe across the pond will of course add to the costs unfortunately.
    Wilfried Blothe (Benelli Bauer) has recently bought a large part of the inventory of Cosmopolitan motors, and is now in the process of sorting and cataloging these parts.
    Benelli's were new to me also, I own several British bikes, but when I spotted this little Italian machine, I could not resist, and like tis machine so much that I am consideing buying another one.

Sponsors