Benelli Forum banner

Motobi Ardizio125 Sport 2 stroke

10K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  dintnabs 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the Motobi Ardizio125 Sport 1955 please?

I have just bought a basket case and I am going to resurrect the little beauty, but the bits of info I have found is limited.

I was hoping someone would know about paint codes etc and also the mechanical tech general items etc.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hand tool Tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Metal
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Metal Auto part
Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Wood Red Gas Composite material Auto part

See less See more
#5 ·
The owners manual you most likely have does have a not of good info in it but I've not found much else out there. I have some chain and carb references that list the Ardizio but that's about it. As for parts, pistons, clutch plates, and rear sprockets seem to be about all that can be found NOS, and even used parts are hard.

I've probably put ~1200 miles on mine in time distance events but have the top end off now for a new piston and small-end bushing.

Here's some inspiration to get the bike back together, they are a real joy to ride.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

#6 ·
The owners manual you most likely have does have a not of good info in it but I've not found much else out there. I have some chain and carb references that list the Ardizio but that's about it. As for parts, pistons, clutch plates, and rear sprockets seem to be about all that can be found NOS, and even used parts are hard.

I've probably put ~1200 miles on mine in time distance events but have the top end off now for a new piston and small-end bushing.

Here's some inspiration to get the bike back together, they are a real joy to ride.

View attachment 23345
Thanks for the guidance.

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. i have been away.

I have been searching Ebay Italia and there seems to be some bits and bobs that come up on there.

It is going to be my winter project and should be up and running by next spring. I have found a company who sells the fishtail silencer, but looking at an old picture the down pipe had some sort of expansion box. yours just has the straight down pipe as does mine. Has this had any affect on the running of the bike?

Attachments

#7 ·
I've not seen any issues with not having that expansion box on the exhaust, other than it's a bit louder at full throttle. not even sure if they always shipped with that or if it was just shown in early promotional pictures.

I run exhaust and cylinder head temp gauges in events and the head temp was very much on the high side, but retarding the timing to deal with modern fuels brought it down to a reasonable range.

#9 ·
The manual calls for 5% oil mix but most modern oils will not mix well at that ratio. I use Motul 800 RoadRace (designed to mix at 3%) and mix it at 4% and it seems to work well.

Just went back and checked my notes on the timing. Not sure where I found the point gap but I have it noted and set to 0.4mm. At that gap the timing as the bike came to me was 35° BTDC. I retarded it as far as the stator would allow and ended up at 28° BTDC. While I still find that number shockingly large, in practice is't just making up for the large and inefficient shape of the combustion chamber. I try and keep the head temp in the 350-450F, and the 28° timing seems to do this. with the timing set higher the head temp would sometimes go as high as 575F.

#10 ·
Hi All, I am scratching my head over the wiring on my Motobi Ardizio 125 2T. I have three wires coming from the magneto/Generator?? red, white and yellow. I am totally rubbish when it comes to electrics and for the life of me I can not figure out what each wire does. I am following the wiring diagram in the maintenance book. It tells me to connect the yellow to the coil. Which side?? II or I?? what wire do i then connect from the other side of the coil and where does it go?? I have been on line looking at similar generators and they all seem to have a wire coming from the points to the coil with a switch. I am pulling my hair out with it!!!! I hope someone can help me please????

#11 ·
Hi can you post a picture of the wiring diagram that you have? It might help us to guide you through the connections

#16 ·
Yes I have done that and nothing out of it. I have used other coils I know are good and still nothing. I have had a test light on the end of the yellow wire as it comes out of the casting and it lights up when kicked over, so I know it is getting some generated power. but when connected to the loom and then the coil nothing.

#17 · (Edited)
Are the points (aka contact breaker) in good condition, and the gap set correctly? If that's ok then it could be the capacitor (condensor) has gone open circuit; not easy to test unless you have a multimeter with a capacitance range.

There is an insulating washer where the points spring is mounted to the frame and the wire connects to it; yours looks like it might be broken but it's hard to see from the pics.

#18 ·
Are the points (aka contact breaker) in good condition, and the gap set correctly? If that's ok then it could be the capacitor (condensor) has gone open circuit; not easy to test unless you have a multimeter with a capacitance range.
Yes they are in good shape and I have set the gap correctly. That's where I fall down. ranges etc are my weakness!! lol

#28 ·
The engine is so basic and simple to work I would check it over.

When I split mine I found some damaged cogs and one of the gear forks was not in good shape. I fitted new bearings throughout, which are a standard size, so there was no problem getting new ones. Seals also can be bought standard which I did. There is nothing to this engine that’s is not easy to sort. The difficult part is finding replacement parts, as you would know. I found new cogs on Italian eBay and repaired the fork. Now I know that all is good inside, which does give you peace of mind.

#31 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the Motobi Ardizio125 Sport 1955 please?

I have just bought a basket case and I am going to resurrect the little beauty, but the bits of info I have found is limited.

I was hoping someone would know about paint codes etc and also the mechanical tech general items etc.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

View attachment 22649 View attachment 22657 View attachment 22665 View attachment 22673
Hi I don't know if this thread is still open , I have just purchased a 1955 motobi Ardizio 125 myself , can you let me know the paint code you used on your bike it looks fantastic. Regards Anthony Winters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.