Introduction
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Introduction

Name
    John
    Member #

Introduction

I recon I should introduce myself, I have owned a 500LS for about 25 years, I last had her on the road in '93 after quite a major rebuild, when I first got her, I swept most of her off a barn floor. The previous owner tore her to bits, literally, then lost interest. A lot of abuse had been heaped upon her, like using a crowbar to get the head off, then skimming off the damage!
    Now I have a bit more time, I intend to clean her up and get her rolling again, so I will be picking the collectives brains and searching for parts, if that's ok.
    cheers
    Last edited by black nails; 08-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    welcome to the forum john,good luck with the rebuild,its a bike thats well worth preserving !
    when i was young i was very indecisive,now im older im not so sure.

Name
    John
    Member #
    The general rolling chassis and bodywork is still in quite good condition, in 1992 I had the frame and bracketry, (is that a real word), powder coated, and they did a very good job as it is still nigh on perfect, except where the four into one exhaust ran too close to the swinging arm. I am not using this exhaust this time, I have had for a good while, a standard system, well, almost, this comprises of - no's.1,2, and two no.4 pipes, one of the no.4's I'll make fit into the no.3 position, (does this make sense?), I do not have the mounting brackets and could do with the measurements so I can knock up some stainless ones.
    The paintwork has stood up well, a friend of mine was a spray painter at a VW dealer, and he did a good job, it is metallic blue over metallic graphite,
    The aluminium rims and engine casings have stood up well, they were painted with vaseline before laying up, but a couple of spots were obviously rubbed off here and there.
    As many fasteners as possible were replaced with stainless, as was the rear brake rod and a few other bits. The chrome work was not very well done, I had it done at a company that made bath taps, the process has broken down somewhere, it is peeling off in many places, but the substrate is not rusty, a few extra parts were chromed, inc. the top yoke, headlamp shell, engine mounting brackets, etc.
    There are a lot of non standard parts fitted, front mudguard, front brake pipework, rear lamp etc.
    The engine had been butchered quite badly, Piecing together the evidence, my then local bike shop owner, A mine of information, who used to be a Benelli dealer, the odd parts that i found that came with the bike, and machining that had been done, it seems that the engine was stripped for a top end overhaul, the cylinder heads are apparently prone to being stuck in place by the studs bonding with corrosion, damage had been done removing the head, resulting in the faces being welded and skimmed by an unknown amount, it was put back together using 2 head gaskets!! a re-bore had been carried out, using honda pistons of the wrong type, I can't remember if they were cb or cg pistons, and I think it was these that resulted in a valve being dropped.
    This is where I came in.
    The cylinders I had rebored and the correct honda alternative pistons fitted, I still cant remember what type were used, 2 honda exhaust valves were fitted after shortening the stem a bit, I used blu-tac to check for clearance, she ran perfectly for the year I had her on the road, except towards the end there was a loud tapping developing, it turned out to be the camshaft and a follower picking up. that is when she was laid up, I am yet to open her up to see what has gone on.
    You must remember, all this was done before I had a computer, or had heard of ebay etc. I didn't have much to rely on.
    It seems that a new chapter is beginning for the old girl.
    I will post up some photos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi John,
    You shouldn't need to fit any Honda parts in your engine. I rebuilt my 654 a couple of years ago and was able to source everything I needed from Selwyn. You can even get complete 4 nto 4 exhaust systems. Check the "Parts Suppliers" thread at the top of this section for suupliers in the UK and overseas. Lots of invaluable advice too.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Hi Richard, the Honda parts were fitted in 1992, they worked ok, now, I am able to source the correct parts, I will be, where possible, using OE parts, unless I can improve things, the bike is in no way concourse, so I have no need to make her nut and bolt correct.
    I will be contacting Selwyn in due course, I had a brief look at a German site, WOW, I thought dick Turpin was English, anyway, I will be looking at getting the camshaft re-furbed unless an alternative shows up.
    cheers

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi,
    I hear there's a problem with the collet grooves in Honda valves and the 500 pistons will give low compression. I have a spare used 500 head if you need.

Cheers

Name
    John
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    Hi,
    I hear there's a problem with the collet grooves in Honda valves and the 500 pistons will give low compression. I have a spare used 500 head if you need.

Cheers
    Thanks very much for the offer, but It looks like all I need for now, is one rocker arm, (do you have one spare ?), the chrome has come off and it is a bit scoured and it has a couple of slight grooves across it. The camshaft looks fine. I think I will re-use the camshaft for now and see what it sounds like, It isn't much of a job to change if that wretched tap, tap, tap is still there.
    The Honda valves were fitted using the appropriate Honda collets, yes the grooves are a little different and a little lower down the stem, If I remember right I think the top of the guides were shortened a bit just to make sure.
    I believe the pistons are a bit lower compression than the originals, at the time I had no easy access to the originals, but I think that has worked for me, because the top of the cylinders were skimmed, also the head was machined off by an unknown amount.
    I think, before I start her up, I will do a compression test, just out of interest.

Sponsors