Help needed
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help needed

Name
    John
    Member #

Help needed

I need a bit of help, I am in the process of fitting the 4 into 4 exhaust on my 500 LS, I do not have the mounting brackets, but I want to make up some in stainless steel, To do this I need a measurement.
    I need the distance between a line between centre of the silencer mounting studs and the centre of the frame mounting bolt.
    I need this measurement for both mounting plates.
    Or better still, a drawing or tracing of the originals.
    thanks in advance.

Member #
    Another option is to mock up the brackets using thin sheet metal... then you can use these as a pattern for a stainless steel version... just a thought...

Name
    John
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by atmellovw View Post
    Another option is to mock up the brackets using thin sheet metal... then you can use these as a pattern for a stainless steel version... just a thought...
    Yes, that is my alternative, but I would like to get the gaps and heights right and to be sure the headers fit squarely onto the exhaust ports,
    It is a bit more involved than it first seems. I got some rough measurements from the parts diagram, using schoolboy techniques with a scale rule, with these, I have already mocked up one side using cable ties to hang the pipes on, but I need to be sure, my ocd is twitching.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by black nails View Post
    Yes, that is my alternative, but I would like to get the gaps and heights right and to be sure the headers fit squarely onto the exhaust ports,
    It is a bit more involved than it first seems. I got some rough measurements from the parts diagram, using schoolboy techniques with a scale rule, with these, I have already mocked up one side using cable ties to hang the pipes on, but I need to be sure, my ocd is twitching.
    Hi, If you are in Europe, you can still get reproduction brackets here...BENELLI - Motostoricheitaliane
    They look good for 50Euros, and the photos may help if you are going to make them but I haven't bought them myself and I haven't got a set here to measure I'm afraid.
    Hope this helps.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Thanks for that, yes I have seen these pictures, they are, as usual, taken at a weird angle, so impossible to measure. But never mind, I have had a very successful weekend.
    I spent most of it, laid in the sun at the side of the bike, with card, insulating tape, verniers, cable ties, etc. I think I have had a degree of success, and made some passable mounting brackets out of 2.5mm stainless. when I fit them I will post some pictures, (if they fit)!

Sponsors