Benelli Forum banner

trying to get the 2c going. Crank seal number????

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FBM 
#1 ·
I've never ridden my 2c since buying it 2 yrs. ago in the dead of winter. I wanted to get 'er going.....but alas, it was not to be. Pressured up the tires, installed the new battery, did a full light and safety check. 12v system and Powerdynamo ignition all seem good. new fuel in, plugs regapped..... Then....the starting drill commenced! Or lack of starting drill!

Problems found:
1) single enrichener cable wadded up internally.
2) one of the "double" enrichener cables broken!
3) cable boots missing from carb slide and enricheners
4) clutch cable shredded internally.

Made all new soldered end cables and installed them. bought some nice rubber booties for them cables.

Try again? it will start....but runs only on the right cylinder at idle! after ~ 3K, left cylinder will kick in. WTF??? Tried carb sticks and air was pushing back out the intake manifold ports I installed!.

OK. a few deep breathes....GOTS to be crank seals.

Strip it down to the left side seal is only a 15 min. task thank goodness. What do I find? a shredded 7mm wide 47x20 seal walking its way out of the bore. the center of the seal was gone..
its a wonder it ran at all.

Anyone have a US distributor part number for a 10mm wide, 47mm OD x 20mm ID seal???

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, The seals are freely available at bearing shops. In my experience they will try to sell you the 7mm thick seals - which are more common - but hold out for the 10mm. If they can't get them then go to another shop. While you have the side off make sure you install a seal plate. The 2Cs pop them out regularly and racing bikes are always fitted with them. Here is a link to my page with instructions for fitting: Benelli 2C Restoration Cheers, Tony

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, The seals are freely available at bearing shops. In my experience they will try to sell you the 7mm thick seals - which are more common - but hold out for the 10mm. If they can't get them then go to another shop. While you have the side off make sure you install a seal plate. The 2Cs pop them out regularly and racing bikes are always fitted with them. Here is a link to my page with instructions for fitting: Benelli 2C Restoration Cheers, Tony
is the ID 20mm??????? I'm not sure. I measured 20mm up closer to the bearing. I think the seat rides closer to the key. correct????

also: is that outer bearing a press fit? or a loose fit?

#4 ·
Hi, I have the sizes of the seals written down but I'm not sure which side they are: 47 x 20 x 10, 47 x 27 x 10 The outer bearings are usually a hand push on with an older bike. Use some loctite bearing mount on the shaft to hold them in place. Always use C3 bearings for this application. Cheers, Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.