Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 500 Quatro

Name
    Dirk
    Member #

500 Quatro

Hi,

New to this forum. My name is Dirk, 52 yo, I live in Belgium, Antwerp district.

Been riding motorbikes for the past 34 years, mostly BMW's, some jap superbikes, some Ducati's and Triumph's, even a Guzzi and a BSA A65 at some point.
    Now that I have a place to store bikes I find myself owning 3 Beemers, this Benelli and a Vespa P200e '80.

I was 10 in '75 and for some reason Benelli's have always been special to me ever since I saw my first Benelli four in Italy during some holiday 40 odd years ago....

Early this year i bought a 500 quatro. Needs some finishing, someone liked the colour red a little too much. Also need to fit other exhausts and front signal lights. I'v got the parts, just need to find the time to fit them. The seat hinges are bend, but I gues I can "rebend" them in to shape.
    Still looking for a 500/504, I'd like to put together a racer, the quatro is too beautifull to tear apart i think it was a US import at some point, hence the reflectors on the signal lights.
    It's a '75 with duplex drum brake. Restored or rebuild at some point in the past, I don't know the bike's history.

My dream is to own a Sei, but considering the sales prices nowadays this will remain a dream I guess. In the meantime I'm very happy with the quatro.

RichardJ and GeorgeE111 like this.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Dirk,
    Welcome to the forum. That looks like a fine bike ( although maybe a little too much red ). I'm sure you will have a lot of fun riding it.

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Hi Dirk,

looks like you have a tidy bike there!

I'm also restoring a 500 Quattro, from a box of bits, in between moving house, starting a new job and building a shed... my bike was taken apart about 20 years ago so reassembling it is like the mother of all jigsaw puzzles. Most parts are there, I just have to figure out how they fit together!

Could you please send me a photo of the bearings assembly in the steering head on your bike? At the moment it just isn't looking right on my bike as the loose bearings are visible, meaning they are exposed to the elements. Unfortunately there are no other Benellis around here for me to confirm how things fit together.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Noosa, Australia.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Dirk
    Member #
    Carl,

I'll send you some pictures tomorrow.
    Restoring from a couple of boxes seems like a puzzle indeed. Hope you got a good manual

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Thanks Dirk,
    I posted a thread on here a while back which explains my problem in more detail.

https://www.benelliforum.com/forum/cl...attro-sei.html

cheers,

Carl

Name
    Dirk
    Member #
    top bearing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171022_172556.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	26338

bottom bearing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171022_172614.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	26346

Could be cleaner
    Apply lots of grease, this keeps moisture and dirt outside.
    Looking at your pics it's as if the bearing isn't seated properly? But pics can be deceiving.
    Last edited by boxergs; 10-23-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Could be cleaner
    Apply lots of grease, this keeps moisture and dirt outside.
    Looking at your pics it's as if the bearing isn't seated properly? But pics can be deceiving.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dirk,

Yes I agree, mine don't appear to be seating properly, the gap is as large as it appears on the photographs and definitely much larger than yours. I will try again but the only thing I can think of is that the bearings may be too large but they are the same size as the ones that were in there originally. If I tighten it up further it just seems to lock up the steering. Also not sure how many bearings to put in there (some have been lost over the years). Typically on bicycles I put bearings all the way around the race and then remove a couple, however the Honda CB500 manual recommends only 18 or 19 top and bottom ...nothing is mentioned in the Benelli manual (typical Italian manual, they expect you to know what you are doing;-)

Thanks again,

Carl

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    Hi Carl. The standard ball bearing and cups have no dust covers, but your bearings don't look like they are seated down in the cups properly. It maybe that bicycle ball bearings have been used of imperial rather than metric diameter. This is very difficult to check unless stripped right down I'm afraid. If wrongly sized too big they will be running on the outer edges of the cups and not fully bedded, but will torque down and feel OK nonetheless until they wear. Good luck with it.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Just an idea... The later guzzi forked bikes have different cups and cones than the Marzocchi forked bikes like yours. If it was possible, could you have a mix of the two types fitted. What size should the ball bearings be? I will try to dig some out.

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Hi Carl. The standard ball bearing and cups have no dust covers, but your bearings don't look like they are seated down in the cups properly. It maybe that bicycle ball bearings have been used of imperial rather than metric diameter. This is very difficult to check unless stripped right down I'm afraid. If wrongly sized too big they will be running on the outer edges of the cups and not fully bedded, but will torque down and feel OK nonetheless until they wear. Good luck with it.
    Hi Cosmo,

thanks for that information. My Quattro had only done about 8000km before being completely stripped down to individual components. It languished in boxes for about twenty years before I acquired it, hence my not knowing what the finished bike looks like!

I bought replacement bearings based on the size of those found in the boxes. I doubt if they had been changed while the bike was assembled so if they are the wrong size that would be my fault, although I did get metric size not imperial. I can easily check your idea by reassembling it with the original ball bearings in place. I will definitely try that as my next step. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors