How I Ended up with TWO Benelli 750 SEI.
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By leleven25#

Thread: How I Ended up with TWO Benelli 750 SEI.

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #

How I Ended up with TWO Benelli 750 SEI.

I am new to this forum (and Benelli). Here's why:
    A few weeks ago, I heard a lady had an early Honda cb750 for sale (1970 K0). Turns out her husband passed away about a year ago and had several bikes. I went for a ride to check out the Honda, about 80 kilometres from our farm. The Honda was built from a powdercoated frame and then nothing but new HONDA or replica YAMIYA parts. Every nut and bolt is NEW. There was also a Honda cl200, Honda 1060cc vintage dragster, Suzuki GT550, and a red 1978 Benelli 750 SEI. Lots of shop equipment and hundreds of boxes of NOS parts. I counted more than a dozen NOS Honda pipes and more than 20 NOS Benelli SEI pipes! I tried to buy the Honda stuff and offered to sort the Benelli and Suzuki stuff into two separate piles. Long story short - I bought everything.
    The red 1978 Benelli 750 SEI shows 8,606 miles on the speedometer. It was imported from the USA (into Canada), 5 years ago. It only had one previous owner, originally came from Cosmopolitan Motors, PA. The 1st Canadian owner added 9 miles to the total. The stash included a second, yellow (terrible repaint) 750 SEI and about 60-65% of the parts to build another one. The red bike is totally original and very clean. A new looking 6-1 Marvink (?) exhaust is fitted, along with Metzler tires that have never seen the road.
    I cleaned float bowls, jets, enricher circuits, fuel filters, then set valve clearances. Points got cleaned off and then I could not resist. Hooked up my remote fuel can and pushed the button. Fired instantly! What a sound....... pure 1970's Ferrari F1 car!
    I'm selling all the others, but the Benelli's are staying. There is already snow here, so I'll spend the winter going through it carefully, but in the spring I want to ride this spectacular machine. I'd love to see it with 6-6 pipes, but the sound of that 6-1 is pure heaven! Anyone using an electronic ignition on these machines. I have points on all my cb750K's so no issues for now........ more news later, I will nee h plan and advice! John D.
    RichardJ, RobShed and R Powell like this.

Name
    paul
    Member #
    That is a right find, would love to have a look in a garage like that with lots of bikes & parts.

Paul.

Member #
    I LOVE stories like this.

Seems like we have a few Canadian Benelli owners Time to make contact!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    It's my only "bike in the barn" story, ever. I almost didn't go to see them......

Name
    Charles McCall
    Member #
    Truly a case of being in the right place at the right time... what a find!!!

Congratulations and enjoy!

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi
    Have a look at the suppliers and parts thread above. Electronic ignition by popularity....

Electronik Sasche
    Moto Witt from Columbia car and cycle
    Trispark
    Ignitech

The early 750 had a crank machining flaw and gearbox issues. The warranty work made Cosmopolitan all but give up on the marque. I think these were fixed by mid 76. It's revvier than the 900 and less efficient which makes sense given the modest cylinder dims and same 24mm small carbs on both.

Hope this helps

Chris

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    Chris..... thank you for the information. My "spare" 750 SEI includes an engine with the bottom 1/2 of the main case missing, and no gearbox internals! I suspect that was an early unit that failed...... I also found several electronic ignition units. A few are definitely for Honda cb550/750 (I recognize them easily as I collect and restore early SOHC cb750's). But there are a couple I will have to investigate. I've also found a pair of new fenders (front and rear) for a mini bike. Labelled with part numbers for a "Benelli Fantic". Anyone need them? Also found a local company that took a photograph of my oil pan gasket and then made me two new ones. They are also making up composite ring Gaskets to go between my exhaust pipes and the head. I've used these on my Honda's and they work very well. Inexpensive too, if anyone is interested....... John D.

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    Just finished the 1970 cb750 from this collection. This will be the last one to be sold. I’m keeping the 750SEI and will be getting into it in the new year. John D.

Name:  2C60AC86-56DE-4D66-8FFF-F573EDCA4E17.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  1.13 MB

Sponsors