Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 500LS refurb. update.

Name
    John
    Member #

500LS refurb. update.

I fit the Honda 550 cam follower, Perfect fit. I managed to make a set of exhaust mounting brackets from stainless plate, the tricky bit is the angle of the bends to line up the silencers, I successfully altered the extra no.4 pipe to make up a no.3, All are now fitted.
    Yesterday I decided to start her up, this is how it went.-
    Tappets set, points cleaned up and set, timing set, petrol poured in with a dollop of redex for luck, no leaks or flooding. A new set of plugs fitted, a sumpful of oil poured in, and a new battery fitted, finally, time to start up,
    I cannot find the bl>>dy key, so I hot wired the ignition. No go, the starter solenoid was clicking, but no power to the starter, The internals of the solenoid seem to have been overheated and the copper mountings for the contacts are distorted, I'll look at that later, A quick rummage in the shed turned up an outboard motor solenoid, this pressed into service. Try again, choke on, button pressed, it fires almost instantly on one cylinder, then another and with a roar and a cloud of smoke, SHE LIVES, choke off, I held her on a bit of throttle, the smoke quickly clears, once warm, I lowered the rpm down to tick over, it seems a bit fast, as I crouch down to adjust tick over, she stops, will not start, I checked for a spark with a spare plug, no spark, points etc. all ok. after 20 minutes or so, she fired up again almost instantly. Again after a short time, kaput.
    The ignition coils are the pink N.D ones, probably original, so I think they need replacing.
    All in all, not a bad day.

Member #
    Well done! Glad to see it is coming back to life

Name
    John
    Member #
    Thank you, I really must get some pictures posted up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Russell
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by black nails View Post
    I fit the Honda 550 cam follower, Perfect fit. I managed to make a set of exhaust mounting brackets from stainless plate, the tricky bit is the angle of the bends to line up the silencers, I successfully altered the extra no.4 pipe to make up a no.3, All are now fitted.
    Yesterday I decided to start her up, this is how it went.-
    Tappets set, points cleaned up and set, timing set, petrol poured in with a dollop of redex for luck, no leaks or flooding. A new set of plugs fitted, a sumpful of oil poured in, and a new battery fitted, finally, time to start up,
    I cannot find the bl>>dy key, so I hot wired the ignition. No go, the starter solenoid was clicking, but no power to the starter, The internals of the solenoid seem to have been overheated and the copper mountings for the contacts are distorted, I'll look at that later, A quick rummage in the shed turned up an outboard motor solenoid, this pressed into service. Try again, choke on, button pressed, it fires almost instantly on one cylinder, then another and with a roar and a cloud of smoke, SHE LIVES, choke off, I held her on a bit of throttle, the smoke quickly clears, once warm, I lowered the rpm down to tick over, it seems a bit fast, as I crouch down to adjust tick over, she stops, will not start, I checked for a spark with a spare plug, no spark, points etc. all ok. after 20 minutes or so, she fired up again almost instantly. Again after a short time, kaput.
    The ignition coils are the pink N.D ones, probably original, so I think they need replacing.
    All in all, not a bad day.
    r
    Congratulations in getting that far.. I'm in the process of getting my 504 sport up and running. started for the first time in 20 years a couple of weeks ago. Like your bike it was ok with high tick over but cut out when revs dropped. Carbs had been cleaned but took them apart again and found more dirt in them. Also found needles pitted so have replacements on order. Have an electronic ignition to fit but reluctant to do so until know carbs are ok.

Name
    John
    Member #
    I did drop a carb float bowl off just to make sure, luckily, clean as a whistle, the inside of my tank is nice and clean as I swilled some oil in it before laying her up all those years ago.
    Maybe an inline fuel filter may solve some of your problems, It is a good feeling Isn't it, to hear her roar back to life, after such a long sleep.

I fitted a new front mudguard at the weekend, not an original, I hasten to add, It is a stainless one from china, for a GN, whatever that is, and it cost £11.30. Surprisingly, it doesn't look bad and fits very well after drilling 2 holes, It will do until I can get a more original design at the right price, preferably stainless, as I really do not like chrome, and in my opinion, originality can always be improved upon.
    Weather permitting, I will get some pics posted at the weekend.

Name
    Russell
    Member #
    had a lot of muck in my carbs and tank so cleaned everything. used auxiliary tank to start for the moment, but agree that inline filters will be necessary for a while.
    have been taking photos during the resto so should post them as well. FYI the electronic ignition I have is for a sohc Honda. sounds as though you may need something similar.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Yes, I do fancy changing the ignition system, but, I do need a pair of coils anyway. I would like a nice modern system that does away with points and condensers altogether, not the little 'electronic points savers' on the 'bay, I will have to do a bit of research.
    I also fancy changing the charging system to a modern reg/rec instead of the medieval one fitted, again, research needed.
    What system are you fitting on yours?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by black nails View Post
    Yes, I do fancy changing the ignition system, but, I do need a pair of coils anyway. I would like a nice modern system that does away with points and condensers altogether, not the little 'electronic points savers' on the 'bay, I will have to do a bit of research.I also fancy changing the charging system to a modern reg/rec instead of the medieval one fitted, again, research needed.What system are you fitting on yours?
    Here is a quote back from the Spanish Benelli Club on the topic. See bellow.About charging system you can change the diodes plate and regulator for a modern electronic unit. There are several models in the market, mainly manufactured for Guzzi models . They has the same generator and charging system than the Benelli. I use to fit the ELECTREX unit, made in UK, that has the charging red light in the dash board. Others manufacturer doesn´t but they are cheaper than Electrex. To help in your searching looks for GUZZI LE MANS 1 components. All good manufacturer has made some parts for this bike.If you want to change the generator too (stator and rotor) for a modern magnetic unit, ELECTREX has manufactured a powerfull kit for Guzzi models (identical to Benelli) that gives more than 350W (150w in the Benelli Bosch unit). It´s very expensive but easy to fit and really very powerfull as expected. The unit includes the electronic regulator too, with warning charging red light. I´ve read anywhere that an USA suplier has manufactured some special generator kits for Guzzi Le Mans 1 half price that UK model.For the electronic ignition, you can fit any HONDA CB500-550-750 Four SOHC system. There are a lot of them from 120 euros for an electronic analogic unit (with no electronic box likes DYNA "S") to 500 euros for a DYNA 2000 with an electronic box with several programs and that generate more than 40.000 volts using micro DYNA coils (8.000 volts with original Benelli Nipon-Denso coils). These expensive electronic ignition are very usefull with tunned engines but with original 56mm pistons and Dell O´rto 22mm carbs is better go for a cheaper ignition.
    DenH likes this.

Name
    Russell
    Member #
    hi, I purchased a Boyer brandsen kit from selwyns which has the bits your looking for. unfortunately selwyns stopped selling spares for a while after his wife sadly passed away. I'm sure you can pick the same kit up elsewhere as its designed for single cam Honda 400 -750. apparently need to set it up so that full advance is achieved by 2500 rpm.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Well, I've still got my pondering head on regarding those pesky electrics. But on a simpler note, I noticed her footrest rubbers were a bit on the perished side, so, in my usual way I looked about a bit and discovered that the Royal Enfield Electra ones are just about the same, just needed the hole opening up a bit. Not old stock, but freshly made in India, £6.00 delivered.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsors