Benelli 750 SEI Deep Oil Pan Modification
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli 750 SEI Deep Oil Pan Modification

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #

Benelli 750 SEI Deep Oil Pan Modification

Today I made an interesting modification to the oil pan on my 1978 Benelli 750SEI. Started by finding what I believe to be the stock oil pan from a 1979-82 Honda CB650. It is absolutely identical to the Benelli’s, except it is about 3/4” deeper, more external (and internal) cooling fins, and the oil pick up area has a front baffle that shrouds about 1/2 the “bell” (presumably to stop surge under heavy braking). It bolted up perfectly, with no modifications, and the oil pick up is in the same spot. The Honda sump also uses the same “O” ring style gasket.
    Because it is deeper, I would guesstimate an extra 3/4 of a litre of oil capacity. It does hang down about 1/2” below the frame tubes, but as the 6-6 exhaust pies are well below that, hitting it is extremely unlikely. The only problem is that the oil pick up (screen, bell and tube) on the original hang down just enough to reach the bottom of the stock pan. Judging by the scuff marks, the bell sits on the pan bottom, on it’s 4 little legs. The tube is snug, but not a press fit, into the main block/ oil gallery hole. In order for the pick up to sit the same way in the deep pan, two modifications were required.
    1. The Honda pan held the oil pick up to the correct height using three, small towers, cast in the pan. I cut these off with a Dremel wheel and smoothed them down a bit.
    2. I have a few extra Benelli pick ups, so I machined out the tubing part from one. I then machined a new, alloy spigot that presses into the bell. It is longer than the original, by the extra pan depth, and machined to the same O.D., where it slides up into the block. The centre section of the tube (between the bell and the block) has a larger O.D., so it is “captured” between the block and the bell.
    As I had enough extra parts, I now have a complete modified set up and a complete “stock” unit. If anyone wants to see photos or dimensions, just let me know. John D.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi John,
    That’s a pretty good mod, as it is sure to help with cooling the engine. Would you consider making the pckup extansions for other Benelli owners ?

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    Richard....... I would be happy to do that, but it’s easiest to make it with all the parts on hand, here’s why: when I machined out the original neck that sticks up from the bell, into the block), I was careful to make the bore the same size as the block. However, the new, tube section is slightly larger at the bell end, so it is a press fit. I also staked it at he bottom. The top end is a slightly smaller ID., so it just slips snugly into the block, same as the original........ in addition, the through bore was made using a 14mm. bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #

Oil Volume increased by approx 35%

Been away on vacation, but yesterday finished up the cb650 pan installation. The original bolts are a bit short, so found a full set about 8-10 mm. longer. Topped up with oil and it took a full 4 litres. The oil filter housing is still dry, so a real improvement. About a litre more! The fins just hang a small amount below the frame rails and will be well protected by the 6-6 Busso pipes. Turned out well. John D.

Sponsors