New Member, New (to me) Benelli 250 - Questions
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member, New (to me) Benelli 250 - Questions

Member #

New Member, New (to me) Benelli 250 - Questions

Hello forum members.

This winter I purchased my first 'classic' motorcycle which I've been dying to do for many many years. I have experience working on classic cars and
    was even a diesel mechanic for a short spell, but I've never attempted a restoration on a bike. (I've worked on my newer Ducati, but it doesn't require nearly as much work)

I purchased a pretty ugly looking 1965 Wards Riverside 250 that was supposedly in 'running' condition but I have yet to see it run (other than on a video provided by the seller).
    He seemed like a pretty straight up and honest dude so I took his word for it. With the weather now getting warmer here in Canada, I'm hoping to try and fire it up in the
    coming days. The previous owner has installed a new spark plug and changed the oil but I'd like to change it again before I try starting it. He also sold it to me with
    an empty tank (it was in the very cold of winter) so I'm going to add some fresh 'super unleaded' gas.

Question #1 - Is there anything else I should do to the bike/engine before I try to start it?

Question #2- the kick start seems pretty hard to kick over the few times I tried it, Is there something I can do to reduce tension on this?
    It sounds like there's good compression, but a little too stiff for my liking. Is it just the colder temps? It's hovering around the
    freezing mark here lately.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Vince.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi , Just googled an image of this bike looks great !
    That bikes a two stroke right? ..
    So Id be looking into what two stroke oil you need to mix with the fuel and what percentage or does it have a two stroke oil tank with pump (doubtful that I guess given age ) .
    If it were me I'd take the head off and check the condition of the barrel ect before starting .

Name
    steve peace
    Member #
    Hi You have a version of the Benelli 250 which is a development of the 175cc 4stroke, Other members of the engine family are 260 Mojave 350 Wards and 360 Mojave. Of note I have been alongside the 360 version on a rideout and that bike was hard to kick over so may be high compression.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I have the nerve to take the head off just yet, I'm pretty paranoid about causing more problems than I actually solve.
    I guess I was primarily concerned with there being adequate lubrication before it starts, is there something I can shoot into the spark plug hole to
    lube up the combustion chamber?

I bought a 6v charger/tender this week and will try to start it on Sunday!! (wish me luck at least!)

Vince

Name
    steve peace
    Member #
    Hi Vince
    Yes remove the plug and put some oil down the hole, and kick the engine over, this should then determine that your engine is free. Put the plug back in and fire up.

Member #
    Well I attached my battery charger, put some gas in the tank, pulled the spark plug (which looked very clean) and adjusted the gap, followed the starting procedure in the manual and it fired up on the second kick!

The only concern I had was that after it was sitting there Idling for a while the cylinder head and valve cover started to smoke a bit.
    I suppose this could have been old oil, grease and dirt burning up. Is there any other reason why it would give off smoke?

Here's a video I made of it running, it sounds good to me.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacarella View Post
    Well I attached my battery charger, put some gas in the tank, pulled the spark plug (which looked very clean) and adjusted the gap, followed the starting procedure in the manual and it fired up on the second kick!

The only concern I had was that after it was sitting there Idling for a while the cylinder head and valve cover started to smoke a bit.
    I suppose this could have been old oil, grease and dirt burning up. Is there any other reason why it would give off smoke?

Here's a video I made of it running, it sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me from here .
    The smoke you'll be getting off the engine is just old dirt and oil burning off.. possibly some wd40 or similar that had been sprayed on for protection.
    Glad it's running for you that's half the battle over then

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Name
    John
    Member #
    That's a very nice bike, definitely not ugly, well, not sure about the handlebars, but hey, what do I know.
    With a bit of good old elbow grease and t.l.c. There is a handsome machine under there.

Member #
    Your bike sounds great! Nice first start. I'm working on the 350 version of your bike. In addition to this forum, on Yahoo groups there's a Wards Riverside group that's useful.

I'm down in Massachusetts. Where in Canada are you?

Joe

Member #
    Thanks everyone.

Black Nails: I like the bike a lot and don't think it's ugly either, just in ugly condition. (I've already got new handle bars for it)

sign216: I've been meaning to check out that Yahoo group. I'm in Toronto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors