Ready to Ride: 1977 Benelli 750 SEI. ANY HELPFUL HINTS??
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ready to Ride: 1977 Benelli 750 SEI. ANY HELPFUL HINTS??

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #

Ready to Ride: 1977 Benelli 750 SEI. ANY HELPFUL HINTS??

I’ve pretty much finished a sympathetic clean up of the SEI I got last Fall. I don’t want to call it a “Restoration” because it is an 8,000 mile machine, that was always stored correctly. I have spent a lot of time ensuring it is ready to ride. Been through it end to end, Lots of new seals, gaskets, brake kits, pads, shoes, tires and aluminum polish! The exhaust is a new BUSSO, and I added a Honda cb650 oil pan (and extended the internal oil pick up, see one of my other posts) to increase oil capacity by 30-35%. Tank is lined, new petcocks, valve clearances checked. Timing is spot on, carbs are clean and sync’d. I installed new sprockets and chain, rear shock/coil units are new. It starts instantly and sounds great, but yet to turn a wheel. It’s snowing here today, so it will be another 4-5 weeks before we hit the road.
    I’m curious if anyone reading this post regularly rides a SEI? Is there any particular item or area I need to keep an eye on? The machine sounds strong. I have a new battery and the charging system seems to be working well. I installed a new fuse box, using contemporary blade fuses, and all the other components are working as they should. Switches all work. What else?
    Last week I had a local appraiser stop by, as my insurance company wants a document, before they will consider issuing a policy. I’ve been restoring and riding my own machines for many years. I collect early SOHC Honda cb750’s and certainly know what they trade hands for, but his fellow surprised me! It’s apparently worth a lot more than my 100pt. 1970 K0! Can’t wait to see the insurance quote! Appreciate any guidance or hints! Thanks, John D.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R Powell, DenH and ron d like this.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Remember, the tyres are new and need scrubbing in.
    Then beware of getting too many flies in your teeth because of the massive grin you will be wearing.

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    Good points! It snowed again here last night, S might be a few weeks yet. I will update!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Charles McCall
    Member #
    Looks fantastic! Congrats!

I bought a 900 Sei last year that had been sitting for 20 years without turning a wheel. I didn't open the engine up, but replaced everything that needed attention. I rode it 5 days a week to work if the forecast was for dry weather, and enjoyed every day. I don't have a lot of traffic and have some nice roads on the way, so it turned just a dreary commute into an enjoyable experience.

It's "just" an old motorcycle, so nothing special. In my case, I kept an eye out for new liquids or leaks... I had an oil leak that took a while to sort out. My alternator also didn't alternate, despite not having any warning lights, so I only learned this when the bike wouldn't start. I put it on a battery mantainer each night when I got home.

By riding it, you'll find out what else needs to be replaced, and I'd really urge you to use it. For me, the bike just handles far too well and sounds way too amazing to leave it sitting in your garage for a once-a-year startup. You'd be surprised at the attention an old motorcycle can get!
    R Powell likes this.

Name
    John DeMaria
    Member #
    Charles... thanks for the encouragement! My plan is to use it. Hopefully there will all good news. John D.

Name
    Carl Billingham
    Member #
    Hi John,

i am restoring a 1974 500 Quattro, and was wondering if you could help me out by taking a photo of your top and bottom steering bearings. Something doesn't look right with mine, they appear very 'exposed' to the elements. I'm not sure if that is the way they should be or I have got something wrong. If you know the size of the bearings you used that would be a great help.

Cheers,

Carl
    Noosa, Australia

Member #

Sei

I have a SEI That I purchased new back in the day, now has over 31 thousand miles. I made a couple of updates for more reliability, modern fuse block, electronic
    ignition, rebuilt carbs.
    TomReady to Ride: 1977 Benelli 750 SEI. ANY HELPFUL HINTS??-p3080002.jpg
    RichardJ, GT5S_1985 and DenH like this.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Beas View Post
    I have a SEI That I purchased new back in the day, now has over 31 thousand miles. I made a couple of updates for more reliability, modern fuse block, electronic
    ignition, rebuilt carbs.
    TomClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P3080002.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	840.5 KB 
ID:	29105
    What a lovely looking bike, I like that colour, I don't know why everyone paints them red, though nice, individuality is better.

Name
    John
    Member #
    [QUOTE=500 Quattro;233641]Hi John,

i am restoring a 1974 500 Quattro, and was wondering if you could help me out by taking a photo of your top and bottom steering bearings. Something doesn't look right with mine, they appear very 'exposed' to the elements. I'm not sure if that is the way they should be or I have got something wrong. If you know the size of the bearings you used that would be a great help

They are a bit exposed, check on the parts list on Burian's site.

Member #
    What did you use for a fusebox? I’m looking, but certainly like to see what others have found work.

When I had a sei new, the original fusebox with those phone German ‘pointy-end fuses’ were the biggest issue by far. I tossed it and put one on from a Datsun or something I think. This was before the blade type fuses were around.

I had very little problems with my sei (except fusebox). I did do the transmission update- popped the engine out, flipped it over and replaced needed parts. I may have pulled the head and lapped the valves, but I do not now recall.

the original mufflers rusted out quite quickly. I used it every day- with lots of short trips (I did deliveries for the Dental Lab worked, along with my apprenticeship).
    good chains were not so easy to find, I have not measured to see if an ‘O’ ring chain will fit (perhaps one of those narrow ones if needed?).
    Points were a hassle- but I modified two Gerex ignitions for a Honda 500/4 and never had an issue since.
    I found it ran really well if carbs well balanced and the ignition set as close a possible.

Flush the brake fluid every year
    leave battery on a BatteryTender (or other float charger).
    Oh yeah, the reflectors on the taillamp tended to fall off (the sei I just bought doens’t have those, it is a Euro or Canadian model).

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors