Oil Filter Upgrade - is it possible?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil Filter Upgrade - is it possible?

Member #

Oil Filter Upgrade - is it possible?

Possible to upgrade the oil filter?

'69 Wards Riverside 350 single. Oil "filter" is merely a plastic mesh over the intake, and sooner or later the plastic will fail and need replacement. Is it possible to increase the filtration? I was thinking a steel mesh filter, but any real filteration might interfere with intake and lead to oil starvation.

Thought to insert a filter in a pressurized oil line, but the lines are all internal, so that doesn't seem possible.

Ideas?
    Joe

Oil Filter Upgrade - is it possible?-s-l400.jpg

Name
    Andy Whitaker
    Member #
    Joe I think the filter is probably more competent than you might perceive. Don't forget it is a labyrinth design with two meshes and I suspect the inner mesh may be finer than the outer. Anything that might impede flow would be a bad thing, of course. The lubrication system with end-fed crank forced delivery is quite advanced in my opinion on this bike.

What I do with mine is regular oil changes and scrupulous cleaning of the filter in hot water and washing up liquid and a thorough dry. All I have ever found so far has been very fine carbon residue during cleaning and the filter stops that, so it should stop anything else.

Also can't speak highly enough for running fully synthetic Mobil 1 15W-50 oil. Only down-side has been that break-in from complete rebuild took a long time as it is such a capable oil. Took about 1500 miles to get the bike to run at top speed?!

Andy

Member #
    Andy,
    Are we talking about the same filter? On mine (see photo in 1st post) there's no labyrinth, no second layer, just a coarse plastic screen.
    It's not stopping anything nearly as fine as a paper oil filter.

Edit: I'm thinking, maybe there is a second layer, but no labyrinth, no convoluted path. And screen is fairly open. Stop only bits larger than wheat grain.

I understand a paper filter would impede the flow, but I'm thinking a modern steel mesh filter could work.
    Perhaps attaching it directly to the oil intake, and using that suction to force oil through the stainless weave.

Perhaps something like this, connected to the oil pickup with a rubber hose.
    Joe

Oil Filter Upgrade - is it possible?-ss-7000.jpg
    Last edited by sign216; 05-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Andy Whitaker
    Member #
    You might have something there Joe but whatever you install needs to be able to adopt a low profile in the sump and avoid any air pick-up. The current filter acts as a sump baffle to the oil and allows the vertical pick-up tube to run pretty low drawing from clean, calmed oil. Connecting with a pipe you'll need to use Viton or something to deal with the heat and oil attack. Also any risk of it bouncing or being lifted by sump air flow and it could get pulled up into the transmission?! I still think keeping your oil clean with regular changes is the way to go.

Andy

Member #
    Andy,

All in all, I think any extra filtration might impede the flow, leading to oil starvation and engine destruction.
    It's not worth the risk, unless someone is willing to experiment.

It's too bad, but without external oil lines the risk is too great.

Alas,

Joe

Sponsors