Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atmellovw

Thread: M.O.T. near disaster.

Name
    John
    Member #

M.O.T. near disaster.

Booked M.O.T. today at 12.00, So I gave her a last check over at @ 9.30, then rode her down to the petrol station 3 miles or so away, put £10 worth in the tank, paid, then rolled over to the air pump, as I crouched down to the tyres, WHOOSH!, FIRE!! flickering up from below the clutch cover!!! I can't believe it, but I blew it out with the airline!
    The offside fuel tap was leaking, and a couple of drops ignited on the hot exhaust. The little plastic bowl below the banjo had split. So, as a get home bodge, I removed a bolt from the alternator cover, stuck it in the end of the pipe, and cinched it up with a zip tie. Right, thought I, lets get back home and see what can be done, time is passing.
    As I turned the fuel back on, on the one remaining tap, that one had split as well, but not as badly as the first, so I bound it up tightly with insulating tape and got home as fast as possible, before the adhesive melts.
    Over the last few months, I have ridden around the block, in and out of the garage etc. and all has been well, admittedly, these little plastic bowls looked a bit ancient and were on the to-do list, but they were not leaking, I think the heat from the engine has had an effect on the old plastic, almost with devastating results, I don't want to think about it happening five minutes earlier, while I was paying, and the bike was waiting at the pump!
    Needless to say, I cancelled the test, there is no damage done, just a few white marks, all cleaned off, and my pants are in the wash.
    I just need to give it some thought on what to do next.

Name
    John
    Member #
    I have stripped the taps down, and these are the results.
    M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-1.jpg M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-2.jpg M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-3.jpg M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-6.jpg
    As a temporary measure, until a permanent solution is sorted out, this is what I have done.
    M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-4.jpg I used a dowty washer, followed by a nylock nut, followed by a copper washer, thus, M.O.T. near disaster.-fuel-tap-5.jpg They look a bit weird, but they don't leak anymore.
    I will have a word with my good mate Dave and see what can be turned up on the lathe. Then I can book that M.O.T. again.

Member #
    Don't overanalyze it... source some new taps (without the plastic bowls) and install them. If you want to see the gas flow then use some clear gas hose (Ariete?). The little bowls, in my opinion, create more seams than necessary.
    weld it likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    John
    Member #
    Yes, you are right in your way of thinking. Yesterday, I just had to get it in a workable state, having slept on it, I think the ideal solution is to simplify, with less joints etc. I have decided to tighten up the hollow through bolt, and cut the head off, and fit fuel pipe over it, then put in an in line fuel filter to lengthen the end of the pipe, as the main feed pipe is a moulded unit. I agree, the plastic bowls are a bad design, I have scanned through the 'bay and found nothing that will fit easily on the threads of the tank spigot and the o.e. parts seem to be the only option, which should be perfectly ok for another 40 years, or will they? fuel recipes have changed a lot, I, personally do not want to risk it.

Member #
    BAP is a good brand... if you search on EBAY (US) you will see some suitable replacements just need to make sure the thread is the same and ideally the angle is the same as original. Also check with Guzzino.com, send them a note even as I have always found the guy there (Paolo) to be very helpful. If you can get the originals to work that is great too... always nice to be able to utilize what we already have! Good luck!

Name
    John
    Member #
    The taps I have are BAP. I have just had a look and ponder, it looks like the pipes will be too low if they are pushed onto the bolt, they really need to come out sideways, like they are originally.
    I'll be seeing my mate Dave tomorrow, we'll have a brainstorming session and see where we go from there.

Name
    John
    Member #
    All sorted, Dave turned a pair of replacements up, made of aluminium, modified the joints to take Viton 'o' rings.
    M.O.T. near disaster.-carb-bowl.jpg M.O.T. near disaster.-carb-bowl-2.jpg Unfortunately, no pic of them fitted yet, I left my phone behind.
    These fitted perfectly, with no leaks, M.O.T. booked tomorrow, Well see what happens.

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    I admire your ingenuity. I replaced all the taps on my bikes with Moto Guzzi bap replacements without the bowls immediately. From previous experience of leaks they were a fire loss waiting to happen. And don't let me get started about leaky Dellorto VHB carb bowls! Good luck with it - disaster averted.

Sponsors