500 LS Running foibles
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 500 LS Running foibles

Name
    John
    Member #

500 LS Running foibles

Since Thursday's excursion out for the M.O.T. test, a few little faults reared their ugly head.
    Tick over was not good at all, under 2000 rpm she just rattled and stalled, so I set the tick over a bit high to go for the test.
    On return from the garage, she went sluggish and lost power, I stopped, and it was obvious she was overheating, I left her to cool for 1/2 hour or so, then got her home. the next day I removed the carbs to make sure they are definitely clean, they weren't! one of them actually had a little water in it, they all had a little brown dust in them, the tank is not as clean inside as I previously thought. All cleaned out and inline fuel filters fitted, all synchronised, but I had to do this at a higher than ideal engine speed, tank sealer on order.
    She seemed no better, so I checked cam timing, spot on, I think, the cam positioning plate I used is 3mm thick. If this is wrong please let me know.
    The only thing left is the ignition, so I started all over again, the auto advance unit is free and lubricated, the springs look ok, no rust. I carefully re-set the points, and timed them with the static of a transistor radio,(as the spark plug fires, it transmits an audible crack on the radio) now all is definitely spot on, she was a little retarded, but not much.
    She will still only tick over at @ 1500, any lower and the clutch area rattles badly, (rubber cush drive?) and stalls. She drives very well, but climbing the steep hill where I live, 2 up, she pinks a bit, so I'm wondering if the compression is a bit high, due to the unknown amount machined from the top of the cylinders by the previous owner, I will have to do a compression test, maybe run her on a higher octane fuel?
    Any suggestions gratefully received. (personally, I think she is haunted!)

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi John,
    My 654 ticks over at 1500 and that seems to me like a good speed for a multi.

Name
    John
    Member #
    I think that is where it will remain, it seems a good reliable speed, any lower and the horrible death rattle rears its ugly head.
    I thought (hoped) I had cured the overheating, but it happened again tonight as I arrived home, she stalled at tickover and would not start until she cooled off a bit.
    A bit of a puzzle.

Sponsors